Great Britian Socialized Medicine Going Broke, Fee's Proposed

Users who are viewing this thread

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
New Year drunks should pay for hospital care?

LONDON (Reuters Life!) – Excessive drinking over New Year's Eve could cost Britain's National Health Service as much as 23 million pounds, according to a report on Thursday which recommends drunks be charged a hospital admission fee of 532 pounds ($845.9).

"Alcohol misuse in Britain is at a level where it constitutes a public health epidemic," said the report by the right-leaning Policy Exchange think-tank.

Direct costs to the state-funded NHS, which provides free health care for Britons, are nearly 3 billion a year, with hospital admissions for alcohol intoxication doubling in a decade, it added.

The government should review its entire strategy for tackling the harms from alcohol misuse, it advised.

"We recommend that the costs of being admitted to hospital to sleep off alcoholic excess should be met by individuals, not the NHS," said Henry Featherstone, head of the think-tamk's health unit.

"Those admitted to hospital for less than 24 hours with acute alcohol intoxication should be charged the NHS tariff cost for their admission of 532 pounds."

That amount would be reduced for those paying the costs of their own alcohol education and awareness course.

Department of Health figures confirm that total annual healthcare cost relating to alcohol misuse amounts to about 2.7 billion pounds a year.

(Reporting by Stephen Addison; Editing by Stefano Ambrogi and Paul Casciato)

($1=.6289 Pound)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091231/od_nm/us_hangovers

Call it a sin tax I guess...
I thought the Irish were the drunks? :rolleyes:

Cookie

Reaction score
Yeah, on my dad's side our family reunions are held at the AA meetings.

( only kidding )

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
They should go back to Prohibition...at least there were a lot fewer drunks driving...people wouldn't flaunt it, fewer assaults and family problems, fewer pregnancy's, and life would just generally be a whole lot better without it...

Can any one tell me one good thing that comes about from drinking...

and if you have one how does it balance with all the bad that comes from drinking...

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Sorry about the late response. My internet connection has been down and I have only just been able to brave the cold and fix it with some new Coax connectors.

Anyway, all I am saying is drinking is a hell of a lot better than guns. A large part of that health care bill is because of drunken fights.

Which also means the article is nonsense, because an equally large part is probably sober people being injured by drunks, who would therefore not need to pay under the mish mash they are proposing.

You don't get injured in fights in the US because people are cowardly and just kill each other with guns instead. And death is cheap.

Trust the Americans to favor death over state-paid healthcare costs. God forbid your neighbor's injury should cost you anything. Scrooges.

And drinking in moderation has been shown to have health benefits.

No Guns, some Gin, less God and more Government. That's what y'all need. And y'all is not a word!

Remember: Jesus Christ can save your life, but you could always use the knife.

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I would say Jesus likes a gun or two.

jesus-gun.jpg

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Guns are not Godly.

Wine is.

So alcohol wins.

And how do I know that is really Jesus and not just Scuba Dave standing aloft his new addition?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Can any one tell me one good thing that comes about from drinking...

and if you have one how does it balance with all the bad that comes from drinking...

No takers on this one...

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
No takers on this one...

I think drinking in moderation is acceptable, do you actually propose prohibition? Prohibition made more problems than it solved, IMO.

I don't understand it when people drink to get "wrecked", repeating the actions week after week. I drink only a handful of times a year and then only one or two drinks, the last time I went overboard was 2-1/2 years ago.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
tell me one thing good that somes from drinking and does it out weigh the bad..?

That was the question...

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Tax Cass, and yes it probably does.

Like we should be doing with your gas to offset all the bad that does.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Tax Cass, and yes it probably does.

Like we should be doing with your gas to offset all the bad that does.

WoW...all the innocent deaths, murders, pregnancys, beatings, broken homes, destroyed lives, Etc. are worth a little tax money....why the tax money generated couldn't even pay for all the problems booz causes....

Your mind is warped...

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
WoW...all the innocent deaths, murders, pregnancys, beatings, broken homes, destroyed lives, Etc. are worth a little tax money....why the tax money generated couldn't even pay for all the problems booz causes....

Your mind is warped...

Your mind is paranoid and sensationalist. Are you living in a Town full of drunk wifebeaters? Or perhaps a Wild West theme park?

Most Americans I have had the pleasure of meeting enjoy the odd drink or two and strangely resist the temptation to go on the rampage you so vividly describe to our readers. I'll certainly take care though the next time one of your citizens offers to take me out for a drink. Thanks for the heads up!

Looks like freedom has taken a turn for the worse, at least in your area.

Bad things need regulation to discourage use, like a little taxation. Bad things would cover alcohol, tobacco and yes gasoline. Taxing churches might help too to stop the numbers getting out of control.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I'll tell you what...you ask 2-3 cops at random, that have worked the streets in any town or city how much alcohol plays a part in the crime problems that they deal with on a daily basis and what % they think crime / problems would drop if there was none and report back here and let us know what he / she says...

Or you could go sit in any court for a day and listen...

I think you have been at the pub to long...

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Let me ask you a question...

how much alcohol would you be willing to exchange for the death of a loved family member from a head on crash with a drunk driver...

I dare say there isn't any amount you would exchange...

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
that have worked the streets in any town or city

The last time I looked your Police just drove around all day. Hardly "working the streets".

how much alcohol plays a part in the crime problems

Don't be so naive. Alcohol is a symptom of social problems, and less of a cause.

We know what the causes of social problems are. We're discussing them in the other posts i.e. we need less God and more Government.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks