water heater in a pit

Users who are viewing this thread

flexinflux

Reaction score
Hello all,
My water heater (gas) is near death. It is a tall 50 gallon model in a 'shelf' basement.

When this unit was originally installed, my guess is that it was replacing a smaller model because... in order to make this heater fit, a 2x4 section of the concrete floor was broken up and a void about 18 inches deep was dug into the earth to provide the needed room. Now, this seems to be a really bad idea, if for no other reason than the perceived danger of flooding. I would also assume that routine maintenance on a heater in this position might be improbable and that the exposed (now warmer) section of earth could be a path for insects. And, it looks stupid.

I've searched for (gas) low boys and had no luck. I really don't want to go electric because of the added expenses.

Can anyone offer any insight as to whether having my next heater 'in a pit' is a common solution to this kind of problem (having a low space)? Have any of you had to deal with this scenario?

All comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• h20heater.jpg
    h20heater.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 630

RTAPlumbing

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.rtaplumbing.com
i would definitely have to find some short of shorter tank. I always try to put them up on some sort of a stand if ever in a basement or crawlspace for flooding reason. You could go tankless. Other than that and a shorter tank no suggestions sorry man I have never seen that.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
To my eye that water heater could be sitting on the concrete if the hook-up was modified. Stupid idea to put it in that way and probably against code. :eek:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
To my eye that water heater could be sitting on the concrete if the hook-up was modified. Stupid idea to put it in that way and probably against code. :eek:

I think the problem is with the vent height.

John

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I can't say that I would ever do an installation like that...
What is the height we have to work with?

Is the flue height the limiting factor why this was done?

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Have you considered a tankless unit? If you use a tankless the vent must be replaced to a cat3 vent pipe,a properly sized gas line and a standard 120v electrical plug.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

The shortest ones are still 50" tall which is only about 10" less than yours. But you can also eliminate the draft diverter on top of the heater, and use a horizontal draft diverter in the lateral pipe to gain additional inches.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
The shortest ones are still 50" tall which is only about 10" less than yours. But you can also eliminate the draft diverter on top of the heater, and use a horizontal draft diverter in the lateral pipe to gain additional inches.

:cool: I swear I've never heard of a horizontal draft diverter for a water heater,where can I get those?:cool:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
get a low boy bradford white

A bradford white low boy might fit

it is a lot fatter.....but should work fine...

i am wondering about that thermal expansion tank

is it just hanging there horizontally or does it have bailing wire or somethign holding that tank in place that is not seen by your picture???

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
It would probably be against the manufacturers specs to remove the draft hood and relocate it. Most HWT will state that the draft hood shall be installed without alterations.

Other then that the setup he has now is against code because of the flexible gas connector. That tank should be secured as to make sure the flue doesn't get dislodged from the vent system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks