Toto Aquia dual flush toilet product review, comments and posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Danglus

Reaction score
Tank Wobble

I installed the Aquia ii a few weeks ago, it went in easy once I bought some galvanized lag bolts instead of the supplied screws.

My question is this.....the toilet has been working great, it is not leaking. The tank has a little bit of a wobble to it, I am afraid of overtightening the tank screws. Is a little wobble okay....or should i keep tightening? The bowl does not wobble thanks to some composite shims.

Thanks for a great site and a great resource!

Adenwork2

Reaction score
when Honda was starting to manufactuer cars in North America and everyone thought the quality would go down
Quality did go down. Fit and finish and other non cosmetic problems were worse in my newer N.A. built Honda than an old Honda. The new one had the usual routine transmission failure far far below 100,000 miles. Along with many other issues present from the beginning. Dealer claimed no problems existed. Friends driving the car found the problems without any hints. But it took a year of repeat visits to get most of them fixed. Dealer tries to shine on and blame the owner for the transmission but it is a common problem on some years V6 models. Even Consumer Reports found this out. The car was assembled in North America. The transmission was made in JAPAN. Yes, I did far more transmission maintenance than the Severe schedule and have not towed. I would not compare Toto with Honda unless you were trying to insult Toto.

Reaction score
The new one had the usual routine transmission failure far far below 100,000 miles.
Never heard of one on a their cars failing below 100,000 miles actually... Mine had no trouble in the 150,000 mile range and the motor and transmission acted like they would run forever. Was yours a minivan (Odyssey)? All of the minivan makers seem to have serious problems with short transmission life--about the same lifetime as an F150's (70-80K). :eek:

Domestic makers had a lot of trouble with transmissions lasting only 20K or so. I remember having a discussion with a coworker where he insisted that there was no difference. I then asked him how many transmissions his suburban had...it was on #3 at 80K.

Based on what I've seen I would rank my Nissan as the most reliable, my Honda #2, Toyota #3, and then dragging in miles behind would be Chevy/Chrysler/Ford. Good luck picking out which one of those three was worst...but they did have AMC beat.

Blues

Reaction score
just installed Aquia II

Done by professionals. Two questions. First, the screw caps for the slow closing seat aren't attached to the seat. They seem to be attached originally but broken. Can someone let me know if the caps are attached? Second, seems I need to hold the big flush button for a second or two, otherwise the flush is pretty weak, actually weaker than the small flush. For a while, I thought something is wrong. Then I pushed and held and it seemed to work. Can someone confirm that the big flush requires holding down the button for a bit? Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
the screw caps for the slow closing seat aren't attached to the seat. They seem to be attached originally but broken.

I need to hold the big flush button for a second or two, otherwise the flush is pretty weak,

ss114_02.jpg

The caps on the seat come attached, but if you haven't pressed the caps down, and then work the seat up and down, it can snap them off.
They should be pressed down before the seat is opened or closed.
Once the tab is broken, you can still press them down, but it doesn't look as nice.

You may need longer pushrods on the button.
If you call Toto tech support, they can mail you longer pushrods, sometimes a rod 1/4" longer is all that is needed.
In the interim, you can place a coin under the button to space it out a bit.
aquia_inside_tank.jpg

Last edited:

Jcvb

Reaction score
aquia_angle.jpg

Toto Aquia dual flush toilet

The Aquia meets Ansi/Asme standards as well as the IAPMO/UPC codes.

PDF spec file sheet

I have some on order for the Seattle area now.
MaP rating 800 grams
The trapway is 2-5/8"

How does this compare to the Drake? Does the dualmax flushing clean the bowl well when it comes to solid waste? Is the same flushing technology as the Drake?

Firemark

Reaction score
How does this compare to the Drake? Does the dualmax flushing clean the bowl well when it comes to solid waste? Is the same flushing technology as the Drake?

I can't compare results to the Drake but I bought two of the Aquia IIIs a couple of months ago. No issues at all so far. The issue of "streaking" is rare, about the same as with my old dinosaur 3.5GPF. It usually washes down by itself during the refill process. Once or twice I've just hit the #1 button to clear things up. (I just knew I shouldn't have had those bean burrittos!).

Blues

Reaction score
residuals from solid waste

Have used the Aquia II for a week now. Flushing seems to be strong after using a coin per Terry's advice. Got the longer stick from Toto today which worked as well.

However, because of the low water mark, there's quite a bit of residuals from solid waste every time. A little annoying to say the least.

Some people drop a square or two of paper down first.
That, and the bowl gets better after a couple of weeks.
New bowls seem sticky, but that being said, it's styled more like toilets in other parts of the world, with less water in the bowl.
The Drake bowl with CEFIONTECT will stay cleaner.
Terry

Last edited by a moderator:

Blues

Reaction score
Thanks again, Terry. I also suggested to my kids to throw in a toilet paper before the big one. Hope it works.

PreciousBusterbird

Reaction score
Love the Acquia III and a question about cleaning products

Had the Acquia III installed about eight months ago. Excellent performance, even with the challenge of a bout with an intestinal organism. We saved a lot of water over those few days, thanks to the AIII.

My question is about cleaning products for the toilet. The Toto materials say not to use any products with chlorine, but I haven't been able to find any toilet cleaners without chlorine. Can anyone sugggest a product?

Love the softclose seat--it's a bit of a problem when I use a toilet without the feature, because I have gotten in the habit of flipping the seat closed and walking away. Works fine for softclose, but for normal close--noisy! Oops.

I'm not sure that the dual flush is functioning correctly--it seems to sound the same whether I use the small or the large flush. I'll do more research and ask questions on that later.

Great forum. Thank you so much.

-Casey

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
A store brand name would be "Clorox" "Green works" even though it is from Clorox it doesn't contain any bleach.
http://www.greenworkscleaners.com/products/detail.php?id=ntbc

if you want a do it yourself, i use Vinegar and baking soda.
Not only does it clean; according to Heinz company information, the same vinegar that you can buy at the store as a condiment actually kills 99 percent of bacteria, 82 percent of mold, and 80 percent of viruses.

PreciousBusterbird

Reaction score
Thanks, Peanut9199. Since I already have the vinegar and baking soda, I could try that cheaply! It should be an interesting foaming reaction, if I recall my science fair days.

Love your avatar. My grandpa used to send us Mr. Peanut memorabilia all the time. I still have the little set of plastic mugs. One is even peanut-colored.

patp

Reaction score
Just purchased this toilet two weeks ago. Looks great, flushes pretty good although noticed the need for brushing the inside of the bowl on occasion. My only complaint is with the half flush. It doesn't seem to actually fully flush as the water level never goes low enough to clear. If I do a full flush, I definitely see a proper flush taking place with water going low enough to fully clear the drain.

Any suggestions on how to change this? Do I need to change the amount of water that drains from a half flush?

GreenEyed

Reaction score
If you call Toto tech support, they can mail you longer pushrods, sometimes a rod 1/4" longer is all that is needed.
aquia_inside_tank.jpg

Thank you so much for this simple and perfect solution! My new Toto Aquia was installed last night and used for the first time this morning. I studied this forum before purchasing it, relying on the advice from Terry and the other folks who post here over the opinion of the salesperson at a local high-end plumbing store, who told me that I wouldn't be happy with the toilet (and then tried to sell me a cheaper model from a different company - maybe she's on their payroll, I'm not sure). Imagine my dismay when I flushed the toilet this morning and found that even the paper didn't go down! My spouse was furious with me - four days before Christmas, one day before company arrives, and I've installed an expensive toilet that doesn't do what it needs to do - and insisted that I call the plumber right away. I figured I'd check back here before I called for help, see if I had missed anything, and look here, the very advice I needed. I set a penny under each pushrod and the toilet now works perfectly. I'll call Toto about the longer pushrods today, but in the meantime, if a plumbing forum could produce a merry Christmas, this one has!

Thanks for all the good advice in these forums; they're incredibly useful.

Reaction score
aquia_inside_tank.jpg

Terry, if Toto listens to you (and they certainly should) and/or you have a good contact, perhaps you should suggest they add an optional set of longer push rods to the tank hardware baggie. They could also update instructions/troubleshooting guide to explain what to do if this issue appears.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
cst416_kurt_1.jpg

Aquia II in West Seattle

cst416_kurt_2.jpg

All toilets have a water supply.

Kurts was on the far right.

A water supply should have been on the left.
It was a trick hooking that one up. We had to use two supply lines, one was a Delta end, that allows a standard 3/8" end to thread onto the male threaded end from the Delta style supply. ( I'm putting that information down for the plumbers that could use that trick) We keep a few on the truck, just in case we find bizarre out there on the job. It saves an hour or two sometimes. Terry

Last edited:

Firemark

Reaction score
Short Push Rods?

Terry, if Toto listens to you (and they certainly should) and/or you have a good contact, perhaps you should suggest they add an optional set of longer push rods to the tank hardware baggie. They could also update instructions/troubleshooting guide to explain what to do if this issue appears.

I'm surprised by the photo of the short push rods. I bought 2 of the Aquia III's and both came with much longer rods.

Is there a QC problem at Toto or did they start running low on stock and start cutting them in half?

DSCF2376.jpg

Last edited:

Donn2390

Reaction score
I installed an Aquia ADA and an eco-drake ADA a year ago this week. I originally purchased two Aquia, but had to trade one due to space limitations.
After initial installation, just for grins I used the small button after a big job, and it flushed perfectly, and removed everything. Since that time, over a year, the large flush button has never been used on this toilet, and can only remember having to use the brush, perhaps twice, at most.
I like both toilets, but the Aquia is a winner for sure. I installed it out of the box, with no adjustments required, and no problems ever encountered.
I'm sold and would never buy any other brand....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks