Sewer smell in kitchen cabinets

Users who are viewing this thread

loudhornsrule

Reaction score
Had sewer smell come and go for several years. Climbed up in attic and found no vent pipe for kitchen sink, also no pipe coming thru roof. Bathroom is across house , and its all vented w/ a big pipe. Am i missing something or is it possible my vent is just sitting in my wall? Please help any plumbers ever seen or heard of this?

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Had sewer smell come and go for several years. Climbed up in attic and found no vent pipe for kitchen sink, also no pipe coming thru roof. Bathroom is across house , and its all vented w/ a big pipe. Am i missing something or is it possible my vent is just sitting in my wall? Please help any plumbers ever seen or heard of this?

It's not plumbed in with a barbers loop (island loop) is it? If you want to know exactly how it's vented you need to open the wall up.

loudhornsrule

Reaction score
I dont know how its plumbed. I hope the vent isnt just sitting in my wall. What else could that damb smell be?

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Could you explain that in lahman terms.

If you're sink isn't vented (or the vent is clogged) the velocity of the water leaving the trap will have a tendency to pull water out of the trap. When this happens you'll get a smell from the drain because there is no longer a trap seal.

The loop things I was referring to are a way of piping the drain so that if it tries to create positive or negative pressure you have a way for the air to circulate around in the drain.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
We had a job where the home owner swore they had a sewer smell. We get there and can smell it a little bit. But the smell was coming from a non-plumbing wall. To be sure we sent a guy on the roof with peppermint oil and d had him dump it down the vent stack. Now if there is a sewer order coming from a hole in a vent pipe, or drainage pipe, you will smell the peppermint oil real strong. (NOTE do not let the guy that dumped the peppermint oil back in the house.) Now if you do not smell the peppermint oil like our job, we opened the wall where the smell seemed to be the strongest. Turned out there was a pile of dead mice in the wall. The fell from the attic and could not get out and died there.

loudhornsrule

Reaction score
Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hose to ice make on back of fridge had a steady drip going in the wall> sometimes it something so simple. Thanks for the input

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks