New Tub Spout Leaking Near Wall

Users who are viewing this thread

rreister

Reaction score
I just purchased a new home and this handyman thing is very new to me. In the guest bathroom, I turned on the shower and the tub spout popped off the nipple. I never liked that spout anyway, so I purchased a Moen 3931 from a local plumbing store.

I brought the new spout home and tried to slip it on the 1/2" nipple, got about half way and it got really tough. I noticed that the nipple was scratched up and a little bit bent. I also noticed that there is a nice sized hole behind the pipe that has some plastic and putty. It looks like the previous owner did a terrible job trying to plug the hole.

Anyway, I managed to force the spout on and tighten the clamp. When I turned on the shower, water started slowly trickling out of the back of the spout into that hole (into the wall). I called a plumber and the guy they sent quoted me way too much to rip out my drywall from the other room and examine the issue. I told him to leave.

Can anyone please help? I really appreciate it. I attached a photo so you can see what I mean.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 5,355

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
On that spout, you can remove the plastic slip on mechanism. It will leave you with a female thread on the inside of the spout. You can then extend and solder a male adapter (in the proper length) to the existing copper nipple. The new spout can srew into the normal male adapter.

Any holes on your copper tubing can be soldered to plug them up. Be sure and silicone the existing hole on the wall where the nipple petrudes your wall

tub-spout-solder-extension.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
spout

There is NO WAY to keep an "O" ring seal from leaking on that piece of copper. I would get a different spout, preferably a Delta with a pull down diverter, cut off the tubing as necessary and solder a male adapter to it. Then screw the spout onto the adapter. There is NO reason to cut the wall open and a plumber could do the job in a matter of minutes for whatever his minimum fee is.

rreister

Reaction score
Thanks for giving me peace of mind in regards to the plumber. It's nice to know that I'm not crazy for refusing him to cut into the drywall.

When you say "There is NO WAY to keep an "O" ring seal from leaking on that piece of copper", did you mean a new piece of copper will do the job, or no piece of copper will work? The reason I ask is that I've never soldered anything a day in my life and wouldn't want to start on copper tubing.

That being said, is it easy to replace the nipple that comes out of the wall? Is it easy to find a new piece of copper or brass (not sure what it is, but assume it's copper). Is it soldered on or can it be unscrewed?

I really appreciate the help. I've found more on about the situation then the rest of the web.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks for giving me peace of mind in regards to the plumber. It's nice to know that I'm not crazy for refusing him to cut into the drywall.

When you say "There is NO WAY to keep an "O" ring seal from leaking on that piece of copper", did you mean a new piece of copper will do the job, or no piece of copper will work? The reason I ask is that I've never soldered anything a day in my life and wouldn't want to start on copper tubing.

That being said, is it easy to replace the nipple that comes out of the wall? Is it easy to find a new piece of copper or brass (not sure what it is, but assume it's copper). Is it soldered on or can it be unscrewed?

I really appreciate the help. I've found more on about the situation then the rest of the web.

A new peice of copper will do the job. The copper that you have is too badly damaged for the oring to seal properly.To replace that copper tube, you will have to cut the wall open. It is soldered in place

My original suggestion is less intrusive. As HJ suggested, a plumber will be able to it without opening up the walls within 1/2 hour

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
There are so many on the market. I would recommend a mould resistant silicone. NO latex chaulking.

rreister

Reaction score
There are so many on the market. I would recommend a mould resistant silicone. NO latex chaulking.

Okay. I will check the local big box store. I'm definitely a newbie at this. When caulking, can I just fill the hole or would I need to fit something in behind it?

I will give a plumber a call today (different one) and have them solder on a fitting like you suggested. I'm just trying to make sure I know what exactly is going to happen, by soldering on a new fitting at the end, it will create a perfectly round hole that will seal tightly against the inside of the spout. I get that. But, isn't the Moen 3931 a slip on style - meaning there are no threads on the inside?

Thanks again.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some spouts are convertible...they can be used as slip-on or screw-on. If yours is one of those (and one of the people seemed to think it is), you can remove the slip-on from the internal threads, then screw the whole thing onto a new fitting soldered to the existing pipe.

HJ likes the Delta tub spout. Sounds like a nice unit...I guess I've never seen one other than in pictures. The pull-up diverters tend to leak after awhile or whistle. The Delta works better.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Okay. I will check the local big box store. I'm definitely a newbie at this. When caulking, can I just fill the hole or would I need to fit something in behind it?

Just fill in the hole

Most (99%) moen spouts have the ability for the slip fit plastic to be unscrewed/removed.. Double check the spout before you try and remove it.

Last edited:

rreister

Reaction score
Just fill in the hole

Most (99%) moen spouts have the ability for the slip fit plastic to be unscrewed/removed.. Double check the spout before you try and remove it.

Well. I called a plumber. He was great. Best $70 I spent. He sweated on a threaded fitting and gave me a spout.

However, he said I could try to unscrew the pipe from inside the Moen, but it's tough. I'm trying to justify my purchase (and it was already beat up so I couldn't return it). So, I've been using pliers to try to get the pipe out, and it is in there tight! Any recommendations on how I can remove it?

Thanks for all the other advice. You saved me a ton of money going the other route of breaking up my drywall.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
spout

Where did you buy it? I would take it back and tell them it did not work and leaked. They shouldn't care what it looks like since they are just going to throw it into the RTV bin and ship it back.

rreister

Reaction score
Where did you buy it? I would take it back and tell them it did not work and leaked. They shouldn't care what it looks like since they are just going to throw it into the RTV bin and ship it back.

I guess there is no harm in trying. Of course, the inside is pretty messed up now (broken out pieces of the plastic). Maybe if I clean it up, they won't know.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks