Were American cars ever good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Which ones and when?

I wouldn't touch one now for love or money.

But I am guessing if you guys can make a damn good pump (Zoeller), seat (Toto - I wouldn't want to use one as a toilet though) and a valve (Apollo) then it shouldn't have been too much of a stretch to make a good car.

What went wrong?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Fords are great cars Ian. Even your counterparts across the pond drive them. I'm on my fifth one, though the latest is the oldest. The '04 mustang was awesome, just changed the oil and put gas in. All the latest (99 and on) modular motors are great.

What do you think is a good car? Toyota's and Honda's were better for reliability but not anymore. When they were better they lacked severly in other departments, (interior, suspension).

My sister just got rid of her Audi, it's common that after 60-80k miles they develope problems that become cost prohibitive to keep. Are jags still English made? They are really crappy once the warranty runs out.

Get a new Stang....that will change your mind. It might even put some pep in your step.

What do you drive?

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
English built cars were some of the most unreliable vehicles I ever worked on back in the mid 60's. Most mechanics didn't like to touch them and there were a few specialty shops that sprang up in my area that worked on them. The sports cars that were popular at the time were some of the worst. Underpowered, poor handling, electrical issues constantly. Triumphs, MG's and and Jaguars were also pretty poor for reliability.

American cars were way better. The Japanese and German built cars eventually easily surpassed all others for reliability. Many cars built today are really good from everyone.....Ford seems to be the leader right now in American quality.....I am a GM man......

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I drive a Toyota because I adore the reliability and can live without a quality interior.

I agree that British cars, for the most part, were rubbish.

But there is something about American cars I just do not trust. I could live with a Ford but the rest look a little too light on their loafers for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
They're just a bit socially conservative in terms of the handling and fiscally liberal in terms of the fuel consumption.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I really like my sister's V6 Solara but I'd take a V6 Sport Edition Ford Fusion over it anyday of the week.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
It's all the V this and V that I don't like about heavy American cars.

Just look at this European Ford for instance, which you might buy for your seventeen year old or even your wife.

http://www.fordeumicrosites.com/en-gb/focusst/flash.html

A five cyclinder, 2.5 liter engine but with a turbo so you can rag it way past 6000rpm.

That's a real car.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Hell, I'd rock that as a daily driver. Ford is supposed to be offering almost all there cars with 1 size smaller motor but with a turbo. I'm all for that.

For fun (weekend car) though you absolutely cannot go wrong with a V8, preferably all aluminum.

You guys across the pond would love bigger cars.....that is if your roads weren't so damn tiny. The european guys who bring mustangs/vettes/callengers over there get a lot of attention.

I'd actually love to to have the Ford AU. car lineup available here.

fgfalconxr8.jpg

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I have never driven anything with more than 4 cylinders in it.

Question: if one of your cylinders on a V8 stops firing, because a spark plug has gone for example, do you notice it?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Yes, but less so than if it only had 4 cylinders.
As far as V8's sucking gas, it depends on the situation. The mustang I took up to GA got 31mpg on the highway.
My somewhat built Mach1 got 25+ on a run to the other side of the state.

Last edited:

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Insurance companies charge more for turbo's & anything like that
Also more for sports cars & cars that are stolen the most
I have a '05 Ford F150, before that a 1999 Isuzu SUV (great deal)

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Insurance companies seem to charge me more period.

Can I get some advice please.

I came to America 4 years ago and have been driving here that long. They would not consider my driving record in other countries because America is just odd like that.

Anyway, since I have been driving here I have had no accidents and not even a ticket in that time.

For the first few years I would change my policy every six months to get my insurance premiums down. For the past year or two I have stuck with the same company.

But unlike elsewhere where I have lived, my premiums keep going up slightly every six months when I stay with the same company, even though my record is clean and they should go down.

Should I stay with the same company or become a rate whore once again?

How does it work in the US? Will loyalty be repaid?

I'm paying $800 every six months for an old Toyota.

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Do you have multiple car coverage, or can you have car coverage with the same company that provides your homeowner's insurance?

I pay $190...........................a year for the F150 :D. I'm covered if I decide to plow someone pretty well except they won't fix my truck.

Even before the pickemup, the Mustang wasn't too bad. As Dave mentioned, insurance costs more if you have a car that is high on the list of stolen cars. The other thing to consider is if you have a car which is high cost to repair (cost for parts and such).

Just get a Mustang Ian....you won't regret it, and none of that wussy V6 crap either.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
How old is old ?
I pay less then that for my truck....but we get a low mileage discount - under 7k miles a year, and we have house insurance thru the same company too - another discount

Bel_Air_Front_Driverside.jpg

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have driven nothing but pickup trucks or a suburban. Presently I own a GMC Duramax diesel 4x4 pickup. Insurance where I live is the highest rates in the country. I have always needed a big vehicle as I am a drag racer and have a race car and trailer to tow to the race track. I have one vehicle and use it everyday. My commute to work is short so fuel usage is not really a big deal. I work 5 miles from home and have never commuted much further than that in 30 years. I love my truck...big, burly and it has a monster under the hood. It is a turbo diesel and has enough torque to pull anything.......Japan has continued to enlarge their vehicles to satisfy the US market but they don't build anything that can do what my truck does. I wouldn't buy one even if they did......I did own a Toyota pickup once and it was a ligthweight mini truck. About the only thing it was good for was good mileage. I did own Ford built Capri once and it got 30mpg and was not a bad little car. I commuted about 20-25 miles one way with that thing at the time. Gas prices were maybe .50 cents a gallon back then and I worked in a gas station so I got some gas free.....

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
How old is old ?
I pay less then that for my truck....but we get a low mileage discount - under 7k miles a year, and we have house insurance thru the same company too - another discount

Bel_Air_Front_Driverside.jpg

That '57 Chev is a beauty......283....3 on the tree or a p/g or turboglide....

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
...as I am a drag racer and have a race car and trailer to tow to the race track..

What class do you run in Rich? Car, times, etc. details.
I've only run at the track a few times as it's an hour plus and I've never had a dedicated track car but my father has and my brother's father in law ran a self sponsored Pro Street Trans Am.

My father's last race toy was a '70 CJ with a 440 mag. Tubbed and chopped. We lived in Army housing then....the MP's really gave him hell over having that "on base".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks