Receptacles far back from the wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Some of my receptacles are a little far back in the wall, such that the faceplate requires longer screws (half inch instead of quarter inch). The receptacles are just flush with the face plate.

Can I remove the snap off yokes on the receptacle and use them as washers to bring each out a little?

My receptacles are installed in metal boxes with 1/2 inch mud plates. Strangely the drywall appears to be half inch too.

Last edited:

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
They make spacer for that - even the Box Stores carry them.

They come in a strip, like this:

302510.jpg

You tear off how many you need, they snap together to make it as thick as you need.

3-4$

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A second concern is that you may want to get box extenders. These also come in various thicknesses . I know I've bought some at HD. They come with longer screws to hold the device in the box (but they sometimes fall off and you have to dig them out of the bottom of the box!). They're basically a fire/electrically neutral plastic ring in various thicknesses. The box should be even with the wall surface for safety. If you used those, you wouldn't need the spacers mentioned. They're pretty cheap.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Can I remove the snap off yokes on the receptacle and use them as washers to bring each out a little?

No. You want the yoke to sit on the drywall to keep the recep/switches secure. Ideally they are flush. Legally you get 1/4". 1/2" back is not that unusual.

If the drywall is cut too big for the yokes to sit on, use some nuts as spacers.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. It looks like the receptacles are about one quarter of an inch back but the drywall has worn on some of them which makes securing the receptacles tricky. I think the plastic extenders will work nicely.

I think I'll tidy up the drywall with some patches too. I think code only allows a one-eighth inch gap around the box.

Last edited:

Ford2001

Reaction score
If the receptacles set back to far?

You check with your local electrical supply house.

See if they sell the Arlington, brand box extentions.

I used, then, they have a lip that extends all the way around the
outlet openning.

Home Depot also see box extentions, and they come in different
thicknes.

I had have good luck with both products.

I have also switch to using adjustable boxes, in places were the wall
thickness in an unknown/unkown.

Boo

Reaction score
Be cautious about some of the plastic box extenders. The ones I bought at Home Depot recently have somewhat sharp edges and when you push into the existing box, they have a potential to cut the sheathing on the Romex. I had to file them smoother before inserting.

Joe Werle

Reaction score
plastic supply lines

I've used 3/8" plastic supply lines, cut to the length needed to bring the receptacle flush with the surface of the wall. and drywall screws of various lengths seems to work in the plastic boxes. Both readily available.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've used 3/8" plastic supply lines, cut to the length needed to bring the receptacle flush with the surface of the wall. and drywall screws of various lengths seems to work in the plastic boxes. Both readily available.

You are treating the symptom and not fixing the probem! While doing this will move the outlet flush with the wall surface, the whole safety reason to do it in the first place is to protect the potentially vulnerable wall covering from possible sparks. Only moving the box or a box extender solve both the symptom and the problem.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks. I did go with the plastic box entenders (on my metal boxes and armored cable) and they seem to work an absolute treat.

I like the way they add to the box size as well!

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Thanks. I did go with the plastic box entenders (on my metal boxes and armored cable) and they seem to work an absolute treat.

I like the way they add to the box size as well!

Oops - plastic extenders on metal boxes?

Means now you need to pigtail a ground connection between the receptacle and the metal box.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

Means now you need to pigtail a ground connection between the receptacle and the metal box.

Wouldn't the receptacle screws serve as the connection between the receptacle and the metal box?

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
The longer answer is also no.

You don't need a seperate ground, ONLY when the receptacle's tab is in full contact with the metal box.

...I have to add, in all fairness, that I see this rule broken a lot more often than I see it observed. I always thought the mounting screws served as ground, too, until Mike told me otherwise.

And it still doesn't make that much sense to me, the cross-section of those two screws must be pretty damn close, if not over, the cross-section of a 12-gauge wire? But I don't write or interpret the rules...

Sorry not to have warned you, Ian, I thought you were on plastic boxes.

... had to look it up.

12-gauge wire is 0.0808" diameter, 6-32 screw's shaft is 0.0997". Steel instead of copper, but there's 2 of them... Weird / silly rule, then, I think. Wish Mike or Pete was around to explain the rationale, but neither's been around, lately.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info - would not have known about the need for pigtails if using a plastic box extender between receptacle and box.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score

I always do that regardless to ensure the receptacle/metal box remains grounded if the receptacle is removed (or comes loose) from the metal box.

In fact, I thought it was code.

Oh, I've just realised what you mean. A grounded box can ground the receptacle, but a grounded receptacle cannot ground the box. And a plastic extender messes up the former.

Nevertheless, I am still OK due to my craftmanship!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks