Pre or Post Brine Tank Fill

Users who are viewing this thread

statin

Reaction score
I remember a discussion a year or more ago about pre or post regeneration brine tank filling. I can't find the post any chance someone can tell me the advantage of each? Thanks GD

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
Pre helps keep the salt tank cleaner, it allows minimal water to stand in the salt tank between regenerations and reduces bridging problems; all of which you can't say about post refill.

I know of no advantage to post refill.

Gary, How does pre fill help keep the salt tank cleaner?

statin

Reaction score
I have the WS1 EE controller...

So, looking at the Clack WS1 manual it has programming for both the CS and EE controller. In the EE section there is no mention about how to set up for a pre or post brine tank fill. I would like to do a pre fill because I am worried about a salt bridge forming since my days to regenerate is quite high at 10 days. Maybe its not an issue since I haven't had one form. Is there a way to set it with the EE controller?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Bob, it allows minimal water in the tank between regenerations, so less water in contact with the salt = less dirt etc., especially if there is iron in the water and the control uses raw water for brine refill.

Statin, you should have bought from me. The EE doesn't have the feature, or some other features that the version I sell has. Ten days between regeneration is not good for resin.

George, I say if you do it will be rare because there is only 2.5"-3" of water in the salt tank of a pre refilled control valve. But tell me how you think it will happen more frequently.

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
Bob, it allows minimal water in the tank between regenerations, so less water in contact with the salt = less dirt etc., especially if there is iron in the water and the control uses raw water for brine refill.

Gary, I still do not understand this point. It seems to me that the same amount of water is put in the tank with either pre or post fill and therefore the same amount of contaminants from the water. Same with the salt--what ever contaminants are in the salt are the same whether it is pre or post fill.

Please don't misunderstand my question--I think you have made the point that there are advantages to pre fill--I just don't understand how pre fill results in less dirt in the tank.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Pre means the water is added to the tank just prior to being used in the brining cycle of this regeneration. At most the length of time it is in the tank is some minutes over 2 hrs.; 120 minutes 'soak', plus 10-20 minutes of brine draw/slow rinse.

Post means add the water at the end of this regeneration and leave it sit for days or a week until the next regeneration.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks