Basement bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Darrski

Reaction score
Hello guys...

New to the forums....hello from Canada :)
With 3 ladies in the house I'm forced to build me a bath in the basement...2 teenage daughters do very good job making the 2 upstairs baths unavailable most of the time lol.
Problem is , that I have no access in the basement to main vent without ripping few wall upstairs apart :( .
Would the AAV's be O.K to use in my set-up ?
Thinking about using Studor MAXI for the toilet and MINI for tub/shower and sink .
Drawing is not the best , but I hope you guys can figure it out .
Thanks
Derek

darrski-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
You'd need to attach the vent for the bathroom group ABOVE the fixtures draining into the stack on the floor above anyways. Can you not sneak a vent inside an upstairs wall and tie into the vent stack inside the attic?

Darrski

Reaction score
Hi

Nope...not without taking some walls apart upstairs :(

I know AAVs are not the best way to go...but looks like they might be my only option

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Hi

Nope...not without taking some walls apart upstairs :(

I know AAVs are not the best way to go...but looks like they might be my only option

Why would you need to take the walls apart? Does the main stack not come up inside an interior wall itself?

Darrski

Reaction score
Why would you need to take the walls apart? Does the main stack not come up inside an interior wall itself?

The only thing , that I have access to is the main drain pipe...It's a split level house and not really easy way to go straight up to the attic :(

Darrski

Reaction score
AAVs are another story. I'm talking about a proper dry vent that a plumber would prefer to install.

I had a plumber come in ....he just looked at it ....and said that it might be a pain in the a.... to get it done properly ...it was his suggestion to use AAVs...
Least expansive quote for rough in this bath was $1000....that's why I'm trying to do it myself lol

Last edited:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
If I hired a pro to rough in my bathroom and he wanted to install an AAV after 10 minutes of looking at it, I'd probably get a second opinion.

Darrski

Reaction score
Hey...

O.K...desperate times call for desperate measures lol...took part of the ceiling out in a laundry room next to the planned bathroom...should see how happy my wife was lol . This room is directly under bath upstairs - so I got to see some of the plumbing . I might have a chance to tap into main vent...what do you think ?

darrski-02.jpg

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm not aware of AVV's being code compliant anywhere in Canada.. You could be opening a can of worms if you decide to go that route.

I have heard of water bubbeling up in basins, sinks , traps when a toilet has been flushed at another end of the house. (of course the conditions have to be right....... or wrong, depending on how you look at it) All it needs to fail, is a large volume of water to go down the drain. ie toilet flushing

a proper vent will allow that particular plumbing group to breath air in and out of the system.

The tapping that you are displaying in the drawing needs to be above the lowest fixture's flood level rim. In aother words, it needs to be connected on the upper floor where that bathroom group is.

Last edited:

Darrski

Reaction score
Hey
I did check Ontario building code and they have section on AAVs...they are allowed..I know they are not the best solution....might the easiest thou lol

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Hey
I did check Ontario building code and they have section on AAVs...they are allowed..I know they are not the best solution....might the easiest thou lol

Well, the inpectors that I meet up with want them out.
They are allowed in cottage country ( I don't consider it part of Canada, lmao) , but not in any city or town that I have ever worked in

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
If you go up into the attic, and you see that vent stack, can you not drill a 2 1/4" hole in the stud bay adjacent to that stack and inspect with a flashlight what is inside that stud cavity, and pipe a vent up inside that cavity if the coast is clear.

I don't understand how you expect to tie the venting in with that diagram, it needs to be done above the fixtures in the bathroom upstairs.

Does that stack not come up inside an interior wall?

Darrski

Reaction score
Hey

Don't really want to damage any more ceiling in the next room lol
Can I get away with drilling the next hole for the basement stack 6" away from the main stack - and then tapping to it in the attic ? This way I can stay within the same stud bay ...and less patch work for ceiling repairs in laundry room lol..and there is good chance that there won't be anything in the way if I stay close to the main stack .
I can run the new stack along the floor joist to the new bathroom from the laundry room.
Do you think that might work ?

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Hey

Don't really want to damage any more ceiling in the next room lol
Can I get away with drilling the next hole for the basement stack 6" away from the main stack - and then tapping to it in the attic ? This way I can stay within the same stud bay ...and less patch work for ceiling repairs in laundry room lol..and there is good chance that there won't be anything in the way if I stay close to the main stack .
I can run the new stack along the floor joist to the new bathroom from the laundry room.
Do you think that might work ?

What I suggest is you go up inside the attic and inspect through the top plate rather than risking cutting anything by inspecting the inside of the stud cavity from below. 6" over from the stack isn't much seeing how you'll have to tie into the vent stack in the attic you need to give yourself enough room to install fittings to do so. I wouldn't tear out anymore ceiling, just get in the attic with a flashlight and a drill, even a small diameter hole and a decent light will allow you to figure out which stud bay you can come up inside, if you do see some electrical or other plumbing in the way it's a lot easier to nail a 2x4 to the top of the plate you drilled through, than it is to repair a bunch of drywall ceilings down in the basement.

That's not the best image, but if you look, in that situation the stud bay to he right of the 3" stack is clear and you could easily pipe inside it. I'm not sure on the specifics of your house though.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

That pipe is NOT the main vent stack until it is above the highest fiture connected to it, and then you have to be 6" ABOVE that fixture's overflow level OR 42" above the floor on that level, whichever is higher. Therefore you cannot connect back to that pipe, unless you have a different system than most house's would. $1.000.00 is cheap for what I see has to be done.

Darrski

Reaction score
Hey
Thanks for all the advice guys ....

HJ....but if I manage to run the new 3" pipe to the attic and connect to existing stack...that should work ...right ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks