Problem turning off main shut off -- curb stop

Users who are viewing this thread

jimsimm

Reaction score
I need to turn off my water at the curb to replace my shut-off valve in the house (my water meter is in the house, not buried outside). I bought a wrench silmilar to this one: http://www.gunk.com/product_images/SM_194.JPG but when I opened the hex nut on the cover outside at the curb I find that I have access to a 1 1/2 inch metal conduit or tube that has a small metal rod (less than 1/2 inch diameter) that seems to extend into that tube about 15 inches below ground level. It's hard to explain exactly what it looks like but needless to say, the wrench I bought does not fit down this narrow opening nor would it seem to do any good if it did as it doesn't seem that this metal rod would turn. It must need to be pushed down, pulled up, or pushed in, the nearest I can figure. Does anyone know how this shut off works? The cover on it says QSP water, if that's a help.

I know I can call the water company, but they will charge $50 to turn it off and on and will only do it during business hours and I need to make the repair in the evening or weekends. (and this is New Jersey, so don't even suggest I call a plumber).

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
You need to turn the small metal rod 1/4 turn clockwise.

John

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm a professional service plumber and I don't even like cranking on the curb stops... why? Because if I break it then I'm paying for the repairs/damages it does.

No thanks.

$50 is cheap insurance against this kind of mistake or accident.

davesnothome

DIY Member
Reaction score
I need to turn off my water at the curb to replace my shut-off valve in the house (my water meter is in the house, not buried outside). I bought a wrench silmilar to this one: http://www.gunk.com/product_images/SM_194.JPG but when I opened the hex nut on the cover outside at the curb I find that I have access to a 1 1/2 inch metal conduit or tube that has a small metal rod (less than 1/2 inch diameter) that seems to extend into that tube about 15 inches below ground level. It's hard to explain exactly what it looks like but needless to say, the wrench I bought does not fit down this narrow opening nor would it seem to do any good if it did as it doesn't seem that this metal rod would turn. It must need to be pushed down, pulled up, or pushed in, the nearest I can figure. Does anyone know how this shut off works? The cover on it says QSP water, if that's a help.

I know I can call the water company, but they will charge $50 to turn it off and on and will only do it during business hours and I need to make the repair in the evening or weekends. (and this is New Jersey, so don't even suggest I call a plumber).

Maybe the tool you have is no good. It needs to be hollow to fit over the centre rod? Usually they slide the tool right over that centre rod all the way to the bottom. Its like a guide right onto the valve. Here in Ontario Canada, that rod on mine is six feet down. The tool they use is about eight feet long, but I did see its hollow not a solid bar. Call them during buisness hours to shut it off. You will be without water just overnight. Bottle up some water and have a shower before you call. You brake the curbstop and its going to cost you alot more than $50. Up to you...but I would,nt do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks