Water use - hissing G-Max Korky 528 fill valve - Quiet Fill

Users who are viewing this thread

urdrwho

Reaction score
I'll get to my high water use after the story.

Last winter I installed a new Korky brand float valve in the basement toilet. It had a weird hissing sound but the water wasn't rising so I thought it was just annoying. In march I got tired of the annoying hissing, went and bought another one.....installed new one.......still hissed. Ok, I'll live with it.

Around July 2009 my water usage started to climb. Usual use for the three of us was 3,500 / sometimes 4,000. The August water invoice showed 6,000 gallons. Ok, maybe my son took too many long showers.

Each month the usage has increased. Last invoice was 10,000 gallons...yikes. This invoice showed 12,000 gallons. What is going on?

So yesterday I started the search. Shut off the supply to the house, checked the meter, meter shows no flow to home. Good - no leaks outside.

Turned the house main back on / checked meter, shows water flow. Hm?

Went in and turned water off to the basement toilet with the hissing Korky valve / checked meter, meter shows no flow.

Ok, that is weird because the water level is right on the line. Some food coloring in the tqank was in order. Waited, waited, waited, several hourse passed. No coloring in the bowel.

So maybe the new flapper valve is leaking. Turned off the valve to the toilet. Let the thing sit all night. In the morning the water is still right on the line.

For me to be using an extra 7,000 gallons a month from a leaking flapper valve, that tank should have been empty.

So the hissing of the Korky fill valve could just be air in the lines. Could the movement of the air through the lines cause the little meter dial to spin and therefore cause the meter numbers to move.

This is strange and I'm no newbie to this stuff. I've worked on maintenance crews, albeit that was 40 years ago but I am still mechanically inclined.

Have I paid several hundred dollars for air? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Read the lower part of this page,
The simple fix is replacing the assembly cap

If you hear hissing, it's water.

www.terrylove.com/korky

korky_cap.jpg

korky-quietfill-p.jpg

Last edited:

urdrwho

Reaction score
But where is the water going? It isn't coming out the tube, it isn't going into the tank, the flapper valve isn't leaking. Weird that both Korky fill valves made the same noise.

Thanks for the head up on a replacement.

For the amount it has cost for extra water we could have bought a brand new, eloquent fixture. :rolleyes:

Read the lower part of this page,
The simple fix is replacing the assembly cap

If you hear hissing, it's water.

www.terrylove.com/korky

korky_cap.jpg

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
My guess is the leaking valve is sending the water out the bowl refill tube. That would totaly bypass the tank and your food coloring.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hissing

The hissing sound is probably NOT coming from the toilet, that is just where you hear it. The sound may be a cracked pipe under the floor and the sound is being transmitted to the toilet where it is amplified so you hear it.

urdrwho

Reaction score
Pulled the tube and let it run into the tank and not the refill tube.
It stopped running when the tanks fill line was reached. Let it sit for a while, came back and the tank water had not risen one bit.

Put the tube back into the refill.

For some odd reason, the hissing is gone. I did make one more adjustment downward on the Korky. It still fills to the line on the tank but there is no hissing.

Kind of makes me long for the days when you just had the floating ball to adjust.

My guess is the leaking valve is sending the water out the bowl refill tube. That would totaly bypass the tank and your food coloring.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Crud can cause the seal on any toilet to leak a little. Sometimes it will flush away on its own, sometimes you have to manually clean it off, and sometimes, you just need to replace the cap seal (this works for the Korky Quietfill). The cap seal is available at Lowes for less than $3, so not a bad thing to have sitting around for the time when it does need to be replaced. The flapper valves don't last forever, either, so I like to keep one of those around as well.

urdrwho

Reaction score
Today, I did pull it apart, cleaned the screan and the valve diaphram. They were perfectly clean.

Since the other day the hissing had stopped but then this morning all H broke lose and the valve wasn't closing and the tank was filling past the tank fill hole.

In the past 7 months this is the second Korky valve to go crazy. Both same way and same condition.

Think I'll go get the old brass/copper fill valve and the ballcock. At least I'll know I have a machined metal valve. What I am thinking is the toilet is the first connection to the main and catches any silt that comes by. Who knows?

When at the store there was another guy with the same story as mine. He went through two fill valves in quick order. He thinks it is because the water company has been doing some back flow cleaning.

Crud can cause the seal on any toilet to leak a little. Sometimes it will flush away on its own, sometimes you have to manually clean it off, and sometimes, you just need to replace the cap seal (this works for the Korky Quietfill). The cap seal is available at Lowes for less than $3, so not a bad thing to have sitting around for the time when it does need to be replaced. The flapper valves don't last forever, either, so I like to keep one of those around as well.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Two things to check: make sure that the refill hose is attached to the clip, and not just stuffed down the overflow tube; check your water pressure - if it is very high, the valve may not be able to shut off.

urdrwho

Reaction score
It is stuffed into the overflow tube. Why do you ask? How does a tube with water flowing out know if it is in a tube or attached by a clip. And if it knows, why would it care. :)

Two things to check: make sure that the refill hose is attached to the clip, and not just stuffed down the overflow tube; check your water pressure - if it is very high, the valve may not be able to shut off.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
It can siphon water out, that's why. They install it on a clip for a reason!

urdrwho

Reaction score
That is what I thought.

When I wrote my question tried at some humor but reading it back, it didn't work. I was trying to make the tube seem like it had a thought process.

I really think it is the valve. When I manually pull up on the float, the water will not stop. So if physically pulling on the float won't stop it, having it float by rising water will not do the job.

But your clip thing does mechanically make sense and I always thought it was to keep the thing from falling into the overflow hole. Thanks for the tip.

It can siphon water out, that's why. They install it on a clip for a reason!

Last edited:

urdrwho

Reaction score
Think I have the answer but it worked fine for twenty three years with its current plumbing.

I just noticed that the water supply to the toilet "T"s in before the house pressure regulator. There is a regulator outside in the meter pit.

I am guessing that the pressure is too high coming straight from the water company meter pit. I'm really not into doing any new joint sweating but I am thinking about a different fill valve. I wonder if the old copper/brass valve with the ballcock can take more pressure?

What is your water pressure?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Did you try replacing the cap like was suggested way back at the beginning of this thread? Did you try placing the hose at it's proper position? If you lift the hose up, does it stop? If it does, that's your answer. Install it like the manufacturer says.

urdrwho

Reaction score
Yes Korky sent a new cap under warranty.
Yes I did the hose in the proper position.
Lifting the hose didn't stop anything.

I went a bought a Fluidmaster (which is cheaper than the Korky).
Everything has been fine and quiet.

Did you try replacing the cap like was suggested way back at the beginning of this thread? Did you try placing the hose at it's proper position? If you lift the hose up, does it stop? If it does, that's your answer. Install it like the manufacturer says.

urdrwho

Reaction score
Well it has been three days now and the Fluidmaster is quiet and working. Weird that thwo different Korky towers didn't work and one new cap. Korky's are around $13 and Fluid master is around $7.90. Hm?

The only thing about the Fluidmaster is that the tower part it isn't tall enough. My tank is probably 40 years old, is taller than the new ones and holds more water. The Fluidmaster will only allow water to fill to with in two inches of the water line. I have the setting to maximum float height.

Oh well, it flushes fine and I'll save a bit more water. It'll help make up for the $100 that the Korky wasted.

Reaction score
I still wonder if this is somehow being caused by high water pressure. You say it is tied in before the regulator. I don't know what sort of pressure the valves can take indefinitely. If the water authority made any changes recently that changed the local line pressure that might explain why you started experiencing the problem.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The fluidmaster has two adjustments for height...the fine one you adjusted on the float, and a second one to adjust the total height of the tower...if I remember correctly, you twist the whole thing like a screw, and the thing expands. You may need to remove it from the tank to have enough clearance to do it. It is described in the instructions, which you probably didn't read...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks