Toto toilets and MaP results

Users who are viewing this thread

Nomdeplumb

Reaction score
Apologies if this question has been answered in other threads-- we did try to search to see what we could find out, and must say there is a wealth of info available on Toto toilets but we really do want to understand flush volume capability. Nothing focuses things better than grams per flush!

However, in looking at the MaP report it seems that Toto doesn't have as good results as Kohler (which is another brand we are considering) and the difference is quite large ( 550 ish to 600-ish for Toto, versus 1000 for Kohler).

We want a classic/traditional look and are toggling between Kohler Memoirs and Toto Promenade or Clayton. Some of our reading suggests that Kohler toilets are prone to plugging, which seems a bit counterintuitive given the good "suckage" MaP number.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated. In the meantime will continue to wander through this website (excellent by the way) and watch toilet videos on Youtube. Who knew that could be so entertaining!!

thank you

Drake 800 grams by Veritech Video

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Not true.

The MaP test uses 3/4" x 4" paste wrapped in plastic.
It does not test for bowl rinse,
Quality
Parts availability
Defects per 100 units.
Warped bases and non fitting parts.
Or what happens if you don't flush plastic wrapped paste.

In the real world, the Kohler will plug more then the TOTO.
I don't really care what the MaP lab says, I put these things in my home and try them. We have a lot of people using them, not just a lab rat in a white coat that is afraid of getting his white pants dirty.
We get dirty, and we get answers!

But if you like numbers, would you be interested in a 1968 Chevy Nova with a big V-8 Engine?
It's a 350 cubic inch. Wow! That's really big.

Drum brakes on four wheels, and a vinyl bench seat.
The AM radio gets five stations.

Nothing focuses things better than grams per flush!

Proven to be a false statement.

The Kohler continues to have the tight bends that will "trap" stuff going down.
cim_1_trapway.jpg

The trapway on the Kohler Class Six Cimarron lays flat, hopefully waste makes it through the tight bend for the flange.
This is where I find the most plugs with the bowl.
Not a good design.

cst454_trapway.jpg

The TOTO Drake II trapway points the waste down the drain.

To see what we are talking about in waste, this is the old method of testing before they started wrapping the paste.

Last edited:

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Too many people focus on the Map test as the way to tell if a toilet is the best.
I blame Toto for this, they did such a good job on the Drake and the point it flushes 1000 grams of material without being a "Pressure Assist" that now everyone uses 1000 as a bench mark too beat.

If you think about what 1000 grams of waste is you will realize you don't need even 250 to flush.

15 years ago at 5 gallons of water the normal toilet would flush at the most 100 grams.

You should focus more on what Tery said than grams.

Here is a video of Terry posted showing a flush of 800grams and ask yourself would you ever produce this much waste yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmuzFve6O4k

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Toto doesn't have as good results as Kohler (which is another brand we are considering) and the difference is quite large ( 550 ish to 600-ish for Toto, versus 1000 for Kohler).

My brother has one of those Kohlers. He's very happy with his flush....because he doesn't see the (non-Toto) toilet I have that flushes as well and has a much better bowl rinse. His kohler has almost no bowl wash. I wonder if his wife is happy cleaning the toilet more often (1 teen and 1 ******* also live in the house).

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I guarantee I let go of 1800 grams at the ford dealership today while waiting for my oil change to get done.

I was lightheaded, despondent, couldn't make out even the smallest of sentences asking about food for nourishment after the healthy mass left me.

But on a cleaner yet on topic note,

I used to follow that MaP score as well but over the years I normally look for what's in my hands on a week to week basis as far as what the trendsetters are these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I guarantee I let go of 1800 grams at the ford dealership today while waiting for my oil change to get done.

I don't trust dealerships with anything that I can easily do myself, especially oil changes. That's a job they put the newest/least trained help on. Last time I had a Ford truck the previous owner had relied on the dealership for service--bunch of impact wrench monkeys. As a result the oil drain plug was stripped and slowly dripping. All the lugnuts were overtorqued (took somewhere over 250 lb ft to remove one of them and my old tire cross failed at the neck first, I had to go buy another one to finish the job.) The cheap plated cladding on the Ford lugs all distorted so I had to replace about half of them so that I would be able to get a wrench on them again.

Alan Muller

Reaction score
The MAP test basically measures only one thing. If people look at only that, and the makers design to that test, other things like bowl wash, splashing, noise, are going to get neglected.

No great mystery, really: If you put most of the water into a siphon jet you can suck down the contents but the bowl won't get washed vey well. If you put most or all of the water into the rim the bowl can get washed but the level will rise before the siphon fills.... If you use a plain washdown design (no siphonic action) you get a different set of tradeoffs.

It's a matter of balance among different qualities--like most engineering problems. Maybe the MAP test has made it's point about flushing ability and now it's time for a more balanced test that reports several performance parameters?

RedHouse

Reaction score
Yes it's true that Toto has weaker Map results than Kohler but for the better bowl wash it is a good deal.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes it's true that Toto has weaker Map results than Kohler but for the better bowl wash it is a good deal.

All this proves is that Kohler figured out a way to make theirs look good on plastic wrapped paste...this does not necessarily indicate how well it works with the real thing. Also, even the author of the MAP test says anything over 500g on the latest version of the test is more than adequate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks