What plumbing dangers can a portable dishwasher cause?

Users who are viewing this thread

aum217

Reaction score
I have a tenant who would like 2 use a portable dishwasher-& the building is in good shape but it is pre war. could the pipes burst inside the walls or begin to leak from the water pressure?-are these realistic fears? or is there any other dangers? is there really no danger & I should just let them use it?

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I have a tenant who would like 2 use a portable dishwasher-& the building is in good shape but it is pre war. could the pipes burst inside the walls or begin to leak from the water pressure?-are these realistic fears? or is there any other dangers? is there really no danger & I should just let them use it?

The little dishwashers you wheel up to the kitchen sink and hook up to the faucet?

Are those the ones you're talking about?

If so I think you have no worries at all about excess pressure because these devices shouldn't be causing back pressure on your water piping....

Let them use it :cool:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Even a built-in dishwasher doesn't create pressure on the water supply line. You do have to do a bit more with the drain for a built-in, but the portables drain into the sink.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dw

The most likely problems with a portable, are;
1. the water hose could break flooding the kitchen, and downstairs apartments.
2. The sink could be plugged, or the drain stopper falls into place, and the water would overflow, also causing the flood and damage.
3. The faucet might be damaged by the excessive pressure which the spout was not designed for, also causing a flood.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks