Toto toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

tallbrit

Reaction score
I have three Toto toilets. I would not buy them again. Kohler for me next time. Yes, they are quiet. Yes, the lid closes slowly and yes, they flush well. What is wrong, you might ask. First there is a ridge where the water line comes up to. If you have hard water (we do, although we have a water softener), this ridge will soon be stained. I have to scrub it with a pumice stone to remove the stain as standard cleaners do not work. This is in all three toilet, although one of them is an ADL. The worst thing about them is I am constantly cleaning the bowl with bleach and a brush for all of the small pieces that stick to the bowl. I have never cleaned toilets as much in my life. So, I do not recommend them. Never get one unless the whole thing is saniglossed. Also get one that has no ridge in the bowl. That is my opinion!!!:eek:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can understand your frustration, but I really don't think the cleaning problems can be attributed to the brand of toilet. I would urge you to work with someone who understands water problems. It may be your softener is not doing its job. I admit that I live in an area with excellent water quality, so I really can't get into specifics about what might be wrong with your water or what might be done about it that would solve the problem.

Cookie

Reaction score
Personally, I would not ever buy another one, just certain things you don't trust after you've been burnt. Toto babe!

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the ridge is or the toilet model being discussed. Most of the Toto designs I've looked at have the same rhombus shaped water spot.

I've got the EcoDrake CEFIONTECT and what is classified as moderately hard water (~6 grains), no water softener. I'm not having trouble with stains or deposits so far. Perhaps that will change in a year.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What bothers me about this post is the implication that this cleaning problem is due to the Toto toilets. I find that impossible to believe. He says he has hard water and a water softener, but we don't know what kind of a softener he has or what the water conditions are. I will accept he has a problem, but to blame it on the Toto toilets just doesn't make any sense at all. I suspect he has a big box store softener and it is not performing right.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most new bowls hold less water in the bowl.
So this is a generic issue with new bowls made since 1992.

I have found that CEFIONTECT works better with bad water.
In the Seattle area, the water is very good. Good enough that there are some companies that bottle it and sell it.
Coca Cola has a large bottling plant here that distributes water products all over.
The water is that good.

However, there are some customers in Issaquah that benefit from CEFIONTECT coated bowls.

If you are replacing pre 1992 toilets, and you have an obvious hard water problem, then it may be a good idea to go with the better finish.
Kohler doesn't sell a finish like that, so it wouldn't be any help.
In fact, their Cimarron bowl is lacking in bowl wash anyway.

Here is a nice video of the new Ultramax II, which is very similar to the Drake II.
Video of performance

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks