a/c adapter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
curious if anyone knows, but I have a laptop and the adapter quit working. Bought a new one a couple of weeks ago. Well it looks to be going out. I have an adapter from another older laptop and wonder if it might work to charge the battery.

The adapter, for laptop in question, is input of 100-240v -2.4A 50/60 Hz with an output of 19v 4.74A.

The adapter, i'd like to try, is input of 100-240v 1.8A 50-60Hz with an output of 19V 2.6A 50W Max.

My thoughts/logic is that the one should work to charge. Being a lesser amp I would not expect full output from charger, but more or less a slow trickle effect. Kind of like lowering amps on car battery to give a deeper charge. Am I correct, or would I likely mess up the computer?

again input and output volts are the same and so is the plug.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
That is not how it works. The laptop will pull as many amps as it wants from the power supply. If the power supply is rated at 2 amps and the laptop draws 4 amps the power supply will overheat and burn out in its attempt to provide 4 amps to the laptop.

The rating on the laptop is for max current draw (charging while using the computer). If you charge the battery with the computer off or use the computer with the battery removed the current draw will be less. How much less I don't know.
-rick

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
charger

Charge it overnight with the computer off and it should work. Do not try to use the computer with it plugged in, however, even though it might be using some of the battery power to make up for the deficiency.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
The adapter, for laptop in question, is input of 100-240v -2.4A 50/60 Hz with an output of 19v 4.74A.

The adapter, i'd like to try, is input of 100-240v 1.8A 50-60Hz with an output of 19V 2.6A 50W Max.
With this wide input voltage range and high output levels these are switch-mode power supplies.
Probably the second one will shut down completely to protect itself.
You might be able to parallel two of the second kind if you use current-sharing resistors.

Sedin26

Reaction score
You'd be best to get a proper replacement from an online auction site. Buying from the manufacturer will be expensive but the chargers can be had from other sources at minimal cost.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks