installation of backflow preventer in crawlspace

Users who are viewing this thread

jason_72_98043

Reaction score
hi!

is there any rules/codes as to where it has to be installed? my incoming water service is on the other side of the crawlspace entrance. plenty of clearance at the water service to install the backflow preventer.

whats your thoughts? thanks!

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
They have to be tested yearly. The code says they have to be accessible. I'd check with the building dept. in your area.

John

American Irrigation

Irrigation Installation and Repair Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.fixmyheads.com
hi!

is there any rules/codes as to where it has to be installed? my incoming water service is on the other side of the crawlspace entrance. plenty of clearance at the water service to install the backflow preventer.

whats your thoughts? thanks!

Although It may be allowed, you wont save any money. Being a backflow tester I can promise you that you will pay for it in the test fees, especially if your municipality requires annual test. I would charge double to get into a crawl space.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
backflow

There are two major requirements for a backflow device's location.
1. It must be in a location where "spillage" will not create a problem, and
2. It MUST be located HIGHER, usually 12" higher, than the highest irrigation head.

installation in most crawl spaces would usually not meet either requirement.

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
I'm thinking that you're in Washington state by the zip code. Are you going to install an AVB or a DCVA? The AVB would need to be higher than the tallest sprinkler head in your lawn. The DCVA could for all purposes be installed in your crawl space, it would depend on how tall your crawlspace is. If I have to crawl on my hands and knees I may not be very happy when it comes to testing and a tester would charge you more but a crawl space is considered "accessible" for code purposes. You need to have a minimum of 12" below the device and have enough room around it to test, repair or replace not to mention you may need a permanent light with a switch at the opening of the crawl and maintain the minimum access clearance path to the device since it's considered "maintenance" (it all depends on what city you live in with how strict they are). Then you may need to pull an electrical permit along with the plumbing permit for the light switch. To much stuff involved. Whew! I personally would install it outside or in my garage where I could keep an eye on it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

What is a DCVA? If it is a double check, then it does not meet the minimum requirements for an irrigation backflow device in this area. In fact, some require an RPPBFP valve as the minimum/only accepted device.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks