Need to add ground wire

Users who are viewing this thread

Rayh78

Reaction score
Have a rental with UN grounded outlets. Panel box already upgraded.
So instead of trying to pull new romex into old metal boxes I was planning on just adding a ground wire. Any tips on this?
I was planning on just running a 12 gauge green wire ground to a double box I will put in the crawl space and then only have to fish a small ground wire to each box and then run each one back to double box and then wire nuts.
Do I need a junction box or could I just mount one of the short ground bar clamps to a joist and use that for about 20 connections
Thanks

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
So instead of trying to pull new romex into old metal boxes I was planning on just adding a ground wire. Any tips on this?
I was planning on just running a 12 gauge green wire ground to a double box I will put in the crawl space and then only have to fish a small ground wire to each box and then run each one back to double box and then wire nuts.
Do I need a junction box or could I just mount one of the short ground bar clamps to a joist and use that for about 20 connections
Thanks
Much controversy surrounds the correct interpretation of the NEC regarding this. I recommend an Internet search with majority of opinions ruling, but give Holt's forum somewhat more credibility.

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You say you have "old metal boxes". What type of wire is run from the panel to the metal boxes? If it is BX type wire the metal cover is carrying the ground and all you would need to do is add grounded outlets and connect the ground terminal on the outlet to the box with a grounding screw and pigtail.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks

It is illegal to do electrical wiring in a rental unless you are licensed.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
In some locations it is illegal to do electrical wiring in a rental unless you are licensed.

Fixed it for you.^

Rayh78

Reaction score
Its the old 2 wire romex not BX cable.
Its Ok to do work here if you are homeowner, pull permit and pass inspection.
I had no problem when I did that when I upgraded the panel to breakers and from 100 amp to 200 amp.
I will let you guess what I will do just for a ground wire.
They also require a permit to replace a water heater. But still dont know of any licensed plumbers that do that even when they dont own the home.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Since when?

quote; ya and a electrician is not to drill holes in studs with out a builders lic

Where did that come from? And what jurisdiction would be dumb enough to even write such an ordinance, much less try to enforce it?
progress.gif

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Much controversy surrounds the correct interpretation of the NEC regarding this. I recommend an Internet search with majority of opinions ruling, but give Holt's forum somewhat more credibility.

I don't have a code ref, but I think this can't be done. Check Mike Holt's forum (no posting though...read the rules).

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
The cover of (very) old BX cannot be used as a ground since it does not have a bonding strip.

The cover of AC which includes a bonding strip to ensure continuity can be. My 1950s AC has a bonding strip. It makes all the difference.

Ford2001

Reaction score
Single conductor used for grounding two wire receptacles

Correct if I am wrong, but didn't the old code books allow for such a
thing. That you could connect to the nearest water pipe, (not plastic).
Then it change to the grounding conductor had to be run all the way
back to the service panel.

I can't point to anyhing in the code that saids you can't do this.
But I would make up my splices in a U.L listed junction box. Reason,
all 120/240 volt circuit are splice together inside j-boxes/oulet boxes/
switch boxes.

If you are worry about the single conductor be damage, you could
could install it ENT tubing. But I wouldn't, I would label it, so others
would know what this wire is used for.

Now will hear from the rest of the guys.

Please note, the above is only my opinion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks