Leaking Hunter PGP rotors

Users who are viewing this thread

vaman

Reaction score
I have some hunter pgp rotors leaking. Dug around them and each one is spraying water out sideways;looks like it's between the riser assembly and the shrub head base. What is the secret to unscrewing these things? Am I correct in thinking the screen is probably clogged?

BRD

Reaction score
I'm not sure from your post where your seeing water shoot out , but here goes. If it is leaking between the body and the cap, it just may be a matter of tightening the cap. It's just like tightening a jar and there are only 2-3 threads. If it is leaking between the riser (part that pops up) and the top of the cap, it may be that the seal is bad or clogged with something. Or if you have a low pressure situation , there is not enough pressure to seal the turret when it pops up and water will flush out the sides untill there is sufficient pressure.

BRD

Reaction score
Sorry, one other thing , if the problem is with 2-3 heads on the same zone I would definitely look at a pressure problem. A clogged filter basket will do it. Just unscrew the cap, pull the guts out and clean the filter if needed.

vaman

Reaction score
Picture of leaking hunter PGP rotor

The attached picture shows one of the leaking rotors.My finger is pointing to the seam where these things are leaking.I opened this one up and found nothing inside that looks like it would cause any trouble. There is a large spring in the unit;I thought these things were supposed to have some sort of filter.Am I wrong? Anyway water sprays out of the top like it supposed to but it is also gushing around the area where my finger is.Any suggestions?

Attachments

• DSC_0075.JPG
    DSC_0075.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 5,491

BRD

Reaction score
If you are sure that the water is definitely leaking at the seam as you say, then maybe the cap is cracked.?? But the likely hood of that with multiple heads does'nt seem right. Sometimes leaks appear to be from one area but are actually originating elsewhere. When the system is operating, can you easily push down on the riser? This could mean lack of pressure. When heads first come up they are designed to "flush" water out between the riser and the seal and then "seat" after a few seconds. If there is not enough pressure under them they will continue to flush. By the way, the PGP head does not have a filter basket as some other heads do. If you take the guts out and look underneith it there is a filter screen within it. That should be clear. From your description, check loose cap,verify crack somewhere, insufficient pressure (which could come from anywhere in the system). My guess would be a water flow/ pressure problem.

vaman

Reaction score
Leaking Hunter Rotors

Turned out they are simply worn out. Am in the process of replacing all of them.
:)

dicka55

Reaction score
Head leaks

Don't the caps have a seal that the body slides through (or otherwise contacts)? I just extended four heads from overgrown bushes; every one is now squirting water from the cap/body interface. I do not have a pressure problem. I had removed the rotor assembly from the case to flush the system and clean the head. Does a replacement cap come with a seal? The only separate seal I see online is the rotor riser seal. My heads are 6.5 years old. Will appreciate any info that you can provide to shed light on this problem.

Last edited:

kdiekman

Reaction score
Don't the caps have a seal that the body slides through (or otherwise contacts)? I just extended four heads from overgrown bushes; every one is now squirting water from the cap/body interface. I do not have a pressure problem. I had removed the rotor assembly from the case to flush the system and clean the head. Does a replacement cap come with a seal? The only separate seal I see online is the rotor riser seal. My heads are 6.5 years old. Will appreciate any info that you can provide to shed light on this problem.

Iknow this is a little late but just wanted to post for reference.

It looks to me like there isn't a gasket at the cap just a knife edge. That seems to wear and start to leak. for now I am removing the cap and putting a bead of silicone in the grove of the cap and screwing it on and letting it dry 24 hrs - seems to work. I am looking for an o-ring option for the future.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
the original poster's problem was covers that needed tightening - it was a problem for more than a year, and heads took awhile to start this leaking - the solution was straightforward - tighten the caps

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks