ABS fitting inside concrete footing?

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffeVerde

Reaction score
-Slab-on-grade floor
-toilet backs up to an exterior wall

My vent stack/end-of-line clean-out will come up through the footing/slab. In a typical above-grade install, the closet bend would point back to the wall and T into the stack, like this-

ToiletDrainlayout.jpg

But how do I accommodate the requirement for a 2"-oversize sleeve in the footing penetration, if I've got a fitting buried in the footing?

ToiletDrainlayout-horizontalvent-IS.jpg

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Abs fitting inside concrete

You first picture is correct !

You just put a 3" x 2" reducer bushing into the top of your clean out tee and

extend the 2" vent up from there, also you get foam wrap and make 3 or 4

turns around the abs pipe and fittings where ever they are buried or cross

though the concrete footing and slab !

This gives room for the abs and concrete to slide without breaking the abs

like in thermal expansion of the abs when you run hot water though it !

This go's for all abs concrete penetrations

JeffeVerde

Reaction score
You first picture is correct !
. . . get foam wrap and make 3 or 4 turns around the abs pipe and fittings where ever they are buried or cross though the concrete footing and slab . . .

That's what I'm familiar with. But new code (not sure if it's UPC or California bldg code - which is a mix of UPC and our own mod's due to the seisimic zones here), is calling for all footing penetrations to be sleeved in pipe 2" larger than the diameter of the line you're running.

Guess I'll be visiting the bld'g dept tomorrow to find out how they want it.

JeffeVerde

Reaction score
Are you sure you're even allowed to place the plumbing inside the footing like that? Where I am from this certainly wouldn't be allowed.

Then how do you get your plumbing into exterior walls? Keep in mind that here in California, 99.999% of our construction is slab-on-grade, so there's no joist space to run the ground-floor plumbing through like you'd have with stem-wall or pier construction.

JeffeVerde

Reaction score
Latest California Building Code requires all footing penetrations to be sleeved in 2-sizes larrger pipe. But apparently many (most?) local AHJ's aren't enforcing it, because it's not practical in situations like mine, where there's a tub, shower or W.C. along an exterior wall.

So it's standard layout and wrap in foam. I did drop the combi to the bottom of the stack -- I'm thinking the 18" free-fall from the toilet horn should make for a very effective flush :D

Thanks, all, for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks