Help removing a shower valve stanadyne

Users who are viewing this thread

Fubar411

Reaction score
I'm having a slow drip from my shower head. I removed the handle and probably need to replace some rubber. How do I pull this out?

Attachments

• 2009-10-15 22.55.15.jpg
    2009-10-15 22.55.15.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 8,139

Dcelite

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.merchantcircle.com
Slide that metal tube off of the valve and you'll see a little copper clip sticking out of the top of the brass cartridge housing. TURN THE WATER OFF. The clip will pull straight up and out (you may need to grab it with needle nose pliers or a small pointed object to get it started). Now you're ready to pull out the cartridge. Follow the instructions included with the cartridge puller or with the new cartridge.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moen

We cannot tell whether you have a plastic or brass cartridge in that faucet. If it is plastic it should come out with only a little difficulty. If it is brass its removal, as far as being a DIY job, can range from difficult to impossible without one or more specialized removal tools.

Fubar411

Reaction score
THANK YOU!

Amazing, it was very easy to do. Compared to the other cartridges out there, is this an easier one? Great advice.

One more question. I'm trying to get the drain overflow stopper thing to work so the bathtub will hold water w/out a pop up drain. It is plastic and from the hole downstairs it says it is GERBER. I've tried both brass and plastic cylinders to close it off, even put some petroleum jelly on them. The plastic one almost works, but the water still drains. Any tricks? I have access right now, if Gerber is bad brand.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Gerber is actually one of the best in my opinion.

You need to find the stopper that fits your Gerber.

Fubar411

Reaction score
Are there multiple sizes of Gerber stoppers? I bought one at the supply store and it seems to slide all the way down. Is there no stop for the cylinder or do I need a bigger size?

Thanks,
Rob

Fubar411

Reaction score
Ok, I may just replace the whole thing. Are the brass overflows the way to go these days or is plastic better?

Fubar411

Reaction score
Well crud, the threaded rod broke and it fell waaay down. I'm thinking just replacing.

So what do I use? Plastic or Brass?

Dcelite

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.merchantcircle.com
Our most popular drain is the Geberit cable drive waste and overflow. You attach one piece to the overflow and one piece to the tub drain and then plumb them together with a standard ABS san tee and pipe. If you're going to go with the trip lever style waste and overflow, you should use a brass one. The linkage on the plastic ones are too flimsy for my taste.

thunderchiefb

Reaction score
repair stanadyne shower valve

Slide that metal tube off of the valve and you'll see a little copper clip sticking out of the top of the brass cartridge housing. TURN THE WATER OFF. The clip will pull straight up and out (you may need to grab it with needle nose pliers or a small pointed object to get it started). Now you're ready to pull out the cartridge. Follow the instructions included with the cartridge puller or with the new cartridge.

Please send me a quote for new shower stem and puller thunderchiefb@gmail.com nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks