Question on drain for utility sink install in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

Fastgt79

Reaction score
I am installing a utility sink in my basement right next to my sewage ejector pit. My plan was to install a drain trap underneath the utility sink drain then use a PVC wye fitting to connect to the ejector vent so that everything from the utility sink drains in the ejector pit and that I do not need to add another hole to the ejector cover. Is there anything wrong with my idea? What would be a better alternative?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

It will work. It may have some effect on the pump's operation if the water is hitting the float switch. It may turn it on or off sooner depending on when the sink drains.

Fastgt79

Reaction score
It will work. It may have some effect on the pump's operation if the water is hitting the float switch. It may turn it on or off sooner depending on when the sink drains.

If an ejector pump is similiar to a sump pump then it looks like the vent might be over the float switch according to the pipes leaving the sealed pit cover. If I add a hole to the ejector cover for a dedicated drain from the utility sink do I still need to use a wye and vent the new drain to the ejector's existing vent line? Or is it okay to just drain the utility sink drain directly to the pit without a vent given how close it is to the pit?

Fastgt79

Reaction score
So if I run the utility sink drain (with trap) directly to the ejector pit in a dedicated line do I still need to put a vent on the drain and tie it into the existing vent line?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks