Venting Under a Porch-National Code Reference

Users who are viewing this thread

North Jersey

Reaction score
I finally broke down and bought a direct vent tankless water heater to overcome the combustion problem I was facing with the standard power vent model I own. At any rate, I find myself in need of venting the heater under a 7' unenclosed entry porch. I'm looking for a national code reference that addresses clearance under a porch. I searched ANSI Z223.1/ NFPA 54, but I couldn't find anything. Canadian code requires 1' clearance from the porch and, I believe, two unenclosed sides. I'm looking for something that will convince my local inspector that this is an acceptable location for the termination.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
National Fuel Gas Code 12.3.5....direct vent appliances shall be installed in accordance with manufacturer's instructions..and with 12.9.3, which says for up to 50,000 BTU, vent terminal shall not be within 9" of any opening into the building.

That's all I can find. Can not find specifics about under the porch. Check with the mfg.

North Jersey

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll bring the 9" clearance thing to the inspector. The manufacturer (Takagi) has guidance for Canada (12" clearance from the deck), but says to defer to local guidance in the US. *update* The inspector bought off on the vent under the porch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks