city water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

mak123

Reaction score
I have a small store and the water pressure is normally 40psi, my question is is this city water supply pressure suppose to sustain 40psi continulously?
or it could be fructulated depending on water usage?
IOW, water supply city line's pressure is 40psi, then this 40psi should be same all the time? or it can be lower pressure when people use water?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The pressure is likely to fluctuate. 40 is fairly low. Make sure you don't have a pressure reduction valve that is dropping it from the street pressure. It is often higher at night, and drops when demand peaks.

mak123

Reaction score
city pressure measured in frire-hydrant is 52psi, but entrance point in the building 2inch pipe, the pressure is 40psi, there is 2inch underground copper pipe runs between outside city main(16inch) and 2inch meter in the building.
12pound pressure loss is normal? undergound pipe maybe damaged and cause this problem? pressurre functuates too much range from 5psi to 40psi inside building, is this abnormal, right?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
While I don't know about your area in my area I am under the impression that the water company is only requires to maintain a minimum pressure of 25 PSI...anything above that is a courtesy...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The city will do their best to provide a usable water supply to you. If budgets are tight, they may have allowed over-building without adding infrastructure improvements....meaning that the aging water supply system will struggle, and pressure will quite possibly fluctuate, particularly during the hours of highest and lowest demand.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pressure

The pressure will fluctuate depending on total usage in the area, the size of the city's supply lines, and the distance from the city pumping station. HOWEVER, unless you have an unusual demand situation, a 2" line should almost always be the same pressure as the city main, and that would seldom drop to 5 psi. You may have some unique problem that only a plumber at the building could diagnose.

mak123

Reaction score
the city water folks came and told me the old abandoned city meter located in man-hole could cause this restirction problem, so he will schedule to take it out, this work can be done night and need time to schedule, so until we will take it out, still we don't know yet...

but have you ever seen the old meter could cause problem?
what is inside city meter? some kind of screen?
do you think this old meter is problem?

mak123

Reaction score
my problem is as I said, lower water prssure and not enough water supply.

ChuckS

Reaction score
my problem is as I said, lower water prssure and not enough water supply.

The good news from my perspective is the city will check the pressure after they remove the old meter so it you're still getting the 5 psi drop they will probably troubleshoot it while the hole is open.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks