Can I use both the shower & tub ports on a thermostatic valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

STyler

Reaction score
I'm looking at 3/4" thermostatic valves (currently the American Standard R540) and in all applications they show either the shower or the tub port being used with the other port plugged. Is there any reason I can't utilize both ports?

The application is a horse wash stall. The "shower" port would feed a hose reel ceiling mounted at the center of the stall. I'd like the tub port to feed a separate sillcock. The sillcock will be used for filling buckets to soak hoofs and as a backup for when the hose reel branch is shut down during freezing temperatures.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
You can use both ports but you will probably find a noticeable water temperature difference.

The benefit of a thermostatic valve is that you set it a specific temperature and then you don't have to worry about temperature fluctuations but when using both ports you can not guarantee that.

STyler

Reaction score
You can use both ports but you will probably find a noticeable water temperature difference.

The benefit of a thermostatic valve is that you set it a specific temperature and then you don't have to worry about temperature fluctuations but when using both ports you can not guarantee that.

If I'm only use one or the other, never both at the same time, would it still be an issue? I'd like to set the proper temp for washing the horses (shower port) and mark the handle location then if I use the sillcock (tub port) and adjust the temperature, just return it to the marked position.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks