Softener Component Spec

Users who are viewing this thread

RickwSilentp

Elec. Eng.
Reaction score
Forum users, I have been reading a lot of threads and searching web sites relating to water softeners. Some sites post their systems but not all of the component details which I am hoping from this post will assist myself and other readers on what components to ask for based on each consumers water test results.

Water test results: Hardnes 45-50, ph 6.5, alkanlinity 120, chlorine 1, iron <0.1. Home comments, 3 bedroom home, currently 2 adults, two full bathrooms (1 shower/tub other shower), dishwasher, and wash machine, no full body showers. City water at 60psi. Dry basement.

In my opinion, the best softener is one with the most efficient use of salt, safety features for consumers, and valve/controller life (greater than 7 years).

Brine Tanks, what is the recommended tank (square or circle footprint) and why. What is the best float system to ask for and why. Are there other options to consider when ordering a brine tank. What do you recommend for a grid plate, or are they all the same?

Resin tanks, I believe all of tanks are constructed to the same standard. If wrong, please correct me.

Resin, there are currently 3 types of resin : standard, fine mesh, and SST-60. Each type has been discussed very well in mutiple forums. Based on the above water test results, I am guessing that the standard resin would be recommended. What is the definition of Standard Resin? I have read some distibutors sell Industrial grade, high capacity resin. Do all of the manufacturers make the same grade of resin or are there companies who make a better grade. How are resin manufacturers rated and dollars per/cubic foot. What are the tank size recommendations?

Recommend riser/distributor tube. Any new designs to consider.

Last piece of the puzzle is the valve/controller. I see a lot of valve bodies to consider and controllers. What are the best combinations to consider based on the water and home criteria listed above. What do you recommend for inlet/outlet piping - 3/4 inch or 1 inch and why.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Man you'd have to pay someone to take the time it would take to go over all that with you and then answer all the questions you'd have about the answers.

So post what components you think you're interested in and I and others can tell you how your choices stack up with other brands of components.

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
I am very suprised to see city water that is acid! If that result is correct the first thing you should do is treat the acidity.

What are the units for hardness--grains or PPM?

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
6.5 ain't all that acid, right on the edge of the scale
He said he's got 45-50 ppm hardness

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I assumed ppm and you all know what happens when you assume? Well besides that you get called on it :(

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks