Life expectancy of a bladder tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
What is the life expectancy of a bladder tank and what are the typical causes of failure? Is there is significant difference in life expectance between steel and composite tanks?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
seen some better than 20 years old and still going, seen some go in 2 years.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
What is the life expectancy of a bladder tank and what are the typical causes of failure? Is there is significant difference in life expectance between steel and composite tanks?
I've seen Gould's and Well-X-Trol last 20-25 yrs. The primary cause of failure is incorrect air pressure.

Composite/plastic will usually last much longer but their bladder (bag) is not as 'robust' IMO.

Stacystark

Reaction score
I can only say that mine, which was installed in 1978 still works. It had a problem last year where water got outside the bladder in the tank, but my plumber was able to drain and fix it. He did say it may have damaged the pump.
Seems he might be right, as now the pump is sounding a bit different when it kicks on. The pump, a 1/2 HP,was installed with the tank, also in 1978, so it's lasted a long time.
Which is why I joined this Group. I am looking to educate myself on the mechanics of (relatively)shallow, non-submersible pump motors.
Stacystark

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I can only say that mine, which was installed in 1978 still works. It had a problem last year where water got outside the bladder in the tank, but my plumber was able to drain and fix it. He did say it may have damaged the pump.
Seems he might be right, as now the pump is sounding a bit different when it kicks on. The pump, a 1/2 HP,was installed with the tank, also in 1978, so it's lasted a long time.
Which is why I joined this Group. I am looking to educate myself on the mechanics of (relatively)shallow, non-submersible pump motors.
Stacystark
How deep is your well. . .?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks