Basement insullation vs wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

Richrc1131

Reaction score
I hope this is the appropriate place for this question. Here it goes:

I need to insulate my basement, but there is a lot of wiring between the support joists. I can get the insulation behind all of that, but I wanted to know what are the general code considerations in this situation.

Do I have to do anything special at junction boxes or anything like that?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
A few things to consider and I am sure others will add more.

First, you need to be careful when covering light fixtures with insulation. The lights needs to be rated for this purpose.

Second, junction boxes need to be accessible. They cannot be hidden behind drywall. This may require the use of a) access panels or b) a suspended ceiling.

Richrc1131

Reaction score
Possible silly question here: Is it safe to leave fiberglass roll insulation uncovered? Meaning, since I have to insulate the basement ceiling and I also have to install a drop ceiling, do I run any health risks by leaving the drop ceiling portion of this project for a later time?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
If it's got the paper backing on it, then technically this should not be left uncovered since it might present a fire risk.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Fiberglass insullation can shead fibers, so it would be a good idea to try to prevent that. Any air movement across it can result in a shower of fibers as can contact, which are not the greatest thing to inhale or to get on you. So, maybe staple up some plastic or paper. It should be fairly easy to remove, if desired, when you get to install the ceiling and won't take much time or money to install. Both faced and unfaced fiberglass will burn.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks