Found something odd. . . .you ever see this

Users who are viewing this thread

wed68

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
I am in SW Louisiana and have been working in, on, or around houses all my life. I have plumbed, roofed, hung vinyl, framed, and wired em, but I can not figure out why you would put a bath tub spigot 6 inches off a tiled shower floor!

This is in a 50 year old house in a rural community, I was looking at it to resell, but I can not figure out what the spigot were for the only thing you can get under them is your feet. You would have to either pull the shower knob up with you feet or bend over to pull it.

Anybody ever see this across the country?????

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
I have never come across one, but the spigot is meant to be used as a "toe tester" so you can test the temperature of the water with your feet as well as flush out any cold water in the line before you turn on the shower, so you don't get scalded or blasted with icy cold water.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
spout

I usually put them 12" to 18" above the floor so you do not have to bend over to operate the diverter. They are used so you do not get hit in the face with a jolt of cold water when you turn the valve on. The plumber who put it at 6" above the floor probably figured that it should be 6" above the tub rim so it must also have to be 6" above the floor, not having enough initiative to think why that would be ridiculous.

Last edited:

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I have never come across one, but the spigot is meant to be used as a "toe tester" so you can test the temperature of the water with your feet as well as flush out any cold water in the line before you turn on the shower, so you don't get scalded or blasted with icy cold water.

Yup. I think that is it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks