Boy dies in Septic tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
This I am not joking about, just so you know.

While having my car inspected this morning, the woman behind the counter told me about what happened to her neighbor kid a couple of days or so ago. Since I don't watch the news, I didn't hear it.

Her neighbor's kid, age 4, was playing hide n seek, and the the top was off the septic tank and the boy climbed down in it. Along came the other neighbor and saw the top was off and put the top on and sat a brick on top of it.

The boy was found dead in there, due to gases. He was found by a heat sensor plane above.

Her son went to the school with the father of the deceased child. We stood there and cried.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
This is very sad.

Septic tanks should be banned and everyone put on public sewer.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Refuse permits to build new houses that are not on a public sewer then, and ban wells while we are at it.

It's time for subsidies.

We shouldn't be dumping poo in this part of the back yard and drinking water from the other part of the back yard in this day and age.

I want my water charges to subsidize the development of water and sewer infrastructure in remote parts of the country.

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I want my water charges to subsidize the development of water and sewer infrastructure in remote parts of the country.

Come on down then, the latest utility expansion in Cape Coral costs the homeowners between $17-21K, which is hard to stomach for those barely making it right now. I'm sure they would appreciate the help.

I made sure to buy a house with the utilities in and paid for.

Cookie

Reaction score
I don't know much about these things, but, the woman said, who was the neighbor there, said the lid was off. I don't know what the lid weighs or looks like, but she said, the lid was off and he climbed down in it to play hide n seek.

I don't watch the news because I find it depressing. I wear my heart on my sleeve and it upsets me. I read my news on the net that way I can pick and choose.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
septic tank

A functioning septic tank is full of water, so either he would not have gone into it or he would have drowned. An abandoned septic tank is supposed to have its concrete top caved in and then filled with stone or dirt so that cannot happen. Something like this is NOT the septic tank's fault, any more than a child dying in an abandoned refrigerator is Amana's.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Refuse permits to build new houses that are not on a public sewer then, and ban wells while we are at it.

It's time for subsidies.

We shouldn't be dumping poo in this part of the back yard and drinking water from the other part of the back yard in this day and age.

OK...send me your $$$ and I will start the process.....

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Septic tanks should be banned and everyone put on public sewer.

And what about the farm house on 100 acres of land out in the middle of nowhere?
Log cabins out in the woods?
The person who just spent $15-20k having their septic redone?
The retired couple on a fixed income who's septic will last the rest of their life
Taxes can't fix everything

I guess everything that is hazardous or could possibly cause any sort of harm should be outlawed
Time to go back to riding horses instead of cars
Woops...horses could kill a person
I guess we walk
Then again there are some people that walking could kill them :D ;)

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
And what about the farm house on 100 acres of land out in the middle of nowhere?
Log cabins out in the woods?
The person who just spent $15-20k having their septic redone?
The retired couple on a fixed income who's septic will last the rest of their life
Taxes can't fix everything

I just think we need more permits and inspections and bigger Government too to deal with this.

Existing properties could be grandfathered but all new builds should be mandated to be on public sewer and water.

Obey the code, and don't put poop in your garden.

Woods are for bears....not houses!

And the last place I saw a well before coming to America was Africa.

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I just think we need more permits and inspections and bigger Government too to deal with this.

Existing properties could be grandfathered but all new builds should be mandated to be on public sewer and water.

Bigger gov't?? Yikes! It crept up in size nicely under the last admin. and doesn't seem to be slowing down.

Our wells are generally much better than Africa and I would venture to guess our codes with relations to wells and septic fields are much better as well.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bigger government

quote; I just think we need more permits and inspections and bigger Government too to deal with this.

I guess we can tell who you voted for last November. The scariest words in the English language are, "Hi, I'm from the Government and I am here to HELP you." Maybe we could have a "Cash for Stinkers" program and give everyone with a septic tank a $10,000 trade in to connect to the sewer system, AFTER the city spends about $1,000,000 to extend the sewer to their properly, and another $5,000,000 to upgrade the treatment plant to handle the additonal load.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
I actually want to put in a well
We have Town water, but why pump drinking water to a toilet or to wash the car, water the garden ?
Plus you pay to get the water
Then you pay again based on how much water you use for Town sewer
Regardless of wether or not that water actually goes down the sewer pipe
Bigger Govt, not with my Tax $$ Thanks
Those idiots waste enough as it is

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I actually want to put in a well
We have Town water, but why pump drinking water to a toilet or to wash the car, water the garden ?
Plus you pay to get the water
Then you pay again based on how much water you use for Town sewer
Regardless of wether or not that water actually goes down the sewer pipe
Bigger Govt, not with my Tax $$ Thanks
Those idiots waste enough as it is

I've got a city provided wide "grey" water system at my house that costs me $9 a month whether I use 0 gallons or 3000 gallons (non-metered). I'm tempted to bring it into the house for my toilets.

3 possible issues:
1. Will local ordinances allow it?
2. Will the grey water "dirty up" the toilet? (black rings and such)
3. The system isn't as filtered obviously as the domestic system and some areas of the city have had issues with tiny snails clogging up sprinkler systems.

Of course my wife doesn't want me to do it and if I did I'd leave the existing plumbing in place to make an easy change over if needed.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I guess we can tell who you voted for last November.

I am not allowed to vote as a non-US citizen. It's quite funny actually because my Town claims not to discriminate on the basis of color, religion, ****** orientation, disability etc. etc. but in the small print says you must be a US citizen to stand for mayor.

So a gay, American of Asian decent, with one arm who was both blind and Jewish can be mayor where I live, but I as a European passport holder I absolutely cannot. I am not even allowed to vote in Town elections for councilors.

Once again, while this is the Land of the Free, it's not quite as Free as you think it is.

Which makes me laugh when I see people worried on TV that health reform will mean giving taxpayer-paid health to illegals! Yeah right. I can't even vote in a Town election and I am here legally!

All immigrants do in America is pay your taxes. Like you did for us when this place was the United Colonies. So, we're even.

Last edited:
Reaction score

And how many wild bears are there exactly on the British Isles?

While I'm supportive of proper installations and permitting and think U.S. "conservatives" (what an oxymoron) have their heads completely up their collective rears when it comes to sustainability, your suggestions about sewers and wells are at best sadly misnformed.

You might be from an overpopulated island, but many of us are not. Being self-sustaining does not require being hooked up to city mains for water or sewer. Rural Electric Cooperatives were a great thing (thanks, FDR), but running water and sewer mains even a few miles out of town where I grew up is completely infeasible based on population density (about one dwelling for every 80-160 acres when I was a boy) and the elevation changes. Septic and wells work just fine, thanks. The cattle seemed to do just fine grazing over the covered field lines, and the milk, cream, butter and beef from them was mighty fine. My water was clean and safe and the fish (bass, crappie, catfish, bluegill, red ear sunfish, crayfish, etc.), deer, turkey, rabbits, quail, mountain lions, bobcats, coyotes, skunks, box turtles, various lizards, owls, herons, bull frogs, toads, alligator snapping turtles, raccoons, various snakes, squirrels, foxes, etc. living on our land seemed to be making out well. (We did eradicate the muskrats though as they were wrecking the dams of our ponds.) Bears were very rare and I never saw one there although my grandfather swore he came across one while I was very young. I've seen all the rest there...even though it was another two decades before the conservation office acknowledged the mountain lions were back. There is nothing quite like the sound of them at night either...the cattle go nuts.

What amazes me in town is the number of morons wasting several times more per year on watering their lawn alone than I use for a whole year for a family of four. Of course they only pay for the potable water used, because it isn't in their sewer charge (based on the average of three winter months.) Nevermind that because of over irrigation, lawns of residences may soon be considered zero permeability with respect to run off/retention/drainage.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Read here, it is said it is a piece of tin, which would explain why this woman said, there was a brick on top of it. Is this normal for a lid? I wouldn't think so, but this is a rural county, if it makes a difference.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/20793414/detail.html

Here where I live, a lid is required to be too heavy for a child to lift and parents are presumed to know where their children are playing. Personally, I have shown my grandchildren what is inside our tanks and I have taken plenty of time to answer their questions and explain the dangers even of getting on a nearby swing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks