Delex(Delta) Single Handle Shower Model Number

Users who are viewing this thread

smwall

Reaction score
Can anyone identify the model number for this Delex shower valve?

The customer service at Delta says it is a series 13/1400 or 1600. Since availablility of repair parts is limited in the area where the house is located, I will need to purchase them ahead of time and take them with me. I do not want to be without water to the entire house because I do not have replacement parts for the shower faucet.

Thanks for any help....

Attachments

• Delex.JPG
    Delex.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 16,073

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
that is pretty old

those are their first versoin of a tempered anti
scald valve....

It comes with a cartridge and two common washers..
It is actually a pretty good faucet....

I will have to find the right number...

I still have a couple of them laying around.
complete in the box..

also you will probably need to have a new cam nut
for that valve.... the nut holding the cartridge in the faucet can be the hardest part to get off, you dont want to twist it out of the wall...

and a lot of times they have to be sawed off..

looks like the push button diverter is stuck in also.....

smwall

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the info...just need to figure out what parts I need to buy. Please let me know if you find the model number. The diverter still works. The faucet is in a house we inherited in a remote area a few hours away so I can not take the handle off for a picture until we go there again.

kwill

Reaction score
question for 'push for shower' valve

I just moved into an apartment that has this same shower fixture. The shower definately works ever since i moved into this place a month ago. the valve is pushed all the way in for the shower, but I couldn't figure out how to pull this valve out to get the tub faucet to work. I finally just took a small pair of vice grips and loosened the valve by turning it a little clockwise and the tub comes on. i wanted to find out more about these faucets because I had a feeling these were old and I didn't come up with anything in Google searches until i dug a little deeper and came across this thread. What could be the problem with this valve, and how could i fix it so i can stop using the grips to go between tub and shower?

Reaction score
Take off the handle and plate, post another picture.

That sounds easy...until you try to remove that screw on the Delta handle. I had three Delta showers in the house. One had a nasty looking handle so I tired to replace it. I finally succeeded in shearing the screw, since it wouldn't come out with any of the tricks I've learned. Now the new handle is effectively a press fit.

The second shower had the tub diverter as shown, which was leaking badly. Unfortunately, I followed the directions on the diverter valve package explicitly which had me unnecessarily removing the collar under the handle. With much effort I think I managed to remove the screw from the handle. Like everything else on these @#%$&! Delta's the collar was effectively welded on. Result was that the whole valve assembly twisted and failed before the screw on collar released. Replaced the valve for one without the button diverter.

Haven't touched the 3rd one and hope I never have to. I don't care for the looks of the Delta's and working on them has been a fiasco. From now on, any time I touch one I'll have a non-Delta replacement lined up before hand.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Delta

OR, you can have the phone number of a good plumber who can take it apart without causing a minor remodeling project. Everything you have done could have been prevented, (and the valve you twisted off could have been repaired), by a good plumber.

Reaction score
OR, you can have the phone number of a good plumber who can take it apart without causing a minor remodeling project. Everything you have done could have been prevented, (and the valve you twisted off could have been repaired), by a good plumber.

Perhaps, perhaps not. Finding a "good plumber" can be a challenge.

If I have to pay someone for a service call to remove a simple screw I would prefer to shear it off as I could replace the whole valve for that much. Since it works without the screw, it appears to have just been another PITA Delta part and the savings were considerable.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
QUOTE: Like everything else on these @#%$&! Delta's the collar was effectively welded on. Result was that the whole valve assembly twisted and failed before the screw on collar released.."""

I am sorry we did not get further into our advice column before you started doing all that. EVERY plumber knows about those issues, and knows how to NOT have a disaster like that. Techniques such as heat, and slicing the bonnet, avoid destroying the valve.

Over the years, many design improvements have been made by ALL manufacturers. Do you complain about the quality of your '69 Ford? Drum brakes, no air bags, no PS. Things change. Things get old.

Delta has always been, and continues to be one of the best brands. Old plumbing requires some experience gained from the school of hard knocks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
screw

You do NOT shear the screw off. You use a drill and remove its head so the handle will slide off. Then you use a pair of pliers to unscrew the remainder of the screw from the stem. Again, something a good plumber would know about and which would save a major expense of replacing the valve.

Reaction score
You do NOT shear the screw off. You use a drill and remove its head so the handle will slide off. Then you use a pair of pliers to unscrew the remainder of the screw from the stem. Again, something a good plumber would know about and which would save a major expense of replacing the valve.

Actually the screw sheared off using a pair of pliers to grip and turn it. Contrary to prevailing opinion here, plumbers aren't the only ones who know how to remove screws. ;)

Again, I haven't replaced that valve since what I needed to replace was the handle, but I needed the screw head out of the way. The screw is nearly superfluous with the tight fit of the handle. Water had obviously gotten into the handle before I bought the home. As a result the handle looked like crap. This probably didn't help the screw any, but the other two screws I tested in the other showers were similarly tight. Make of it what you will, but there it is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks