Symmons Temptrol Question

Users who are viewing this thread

organic_smallhome

Reaction score
We currently have this Temptrol system (Model S-96-2) in our bath but it is quite worn and we would like to replace it in the course of our bath update:

Will we need to replace it with the same model, or can any Temptrol model (other than the deluxe model, which is the wrong shape) be used?

Thanks very much.

https://www.symmons.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Unless I am misunderstanding what you intend to do, once you remove the old Temptrol unit you can install any brand, model, or style of valve you desire.

organic_smallhome

Reaction score
Thanks, HJ. Interesting. When I showed my plumber the set up, he said that I would have to go with the same system for replacement. Or perhaps I misunderstood him. We have an old bathroom that we're doing an update on (rather than a full renovation). The hardware set-up in the bath is kind of weird. I think they updated the trim on the wall at some point by installing the Temptrol and replacing some of the tiles with a large black tile. The showerhead comes out of the ceiling rather than the outside wall to avoid freezing pipes. Why they didn't install it on the opposite wall is beyond me (unless it's because there's a iinen closet there). Anyway, the house is a 1930s WPA project, so it has lots of quirks. Also, I asked the plumber whether we could replace the showerhead and extension pipe and he said he could try, but sometimes they break off. Any thoughts?

DSCN1178.jpg
DSCN1202.jpg
DSCN1201.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
So if you just want to REPAIR the valve, and REPLACE the trim, then of course it must be ONLY Temptrol. But there will be a few different handle styles which will work. Possibly take it all to a large plumbing supply for help. Symmons website will also show parts lists, etc.

organic_smallhome

Reaction score
So if you just want to REPAIR the valve, and REPLACE the trim, then of course it must be ONLY Temptrol. But there will be a few different handle styles which will work. Possibly take it all to a large plumbing supply for help. Symmons website will also show parts lists, etc.

Actually, I wanted to replace the whole thing--valve and trim.

So, just to be sure I understand:

I can use a different Temptrol trim style/valve and won't have to replace it with the exact one?

I could go with an entirely different brand, like Kohler, if I want to?

I would actually like to replace it with the Kohler Bancroft K-T10581-4P-SN in Polished Nickel, but have no idea which valve to order. There are, apparently, four different valves to choose from.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Personal opinion, Kohler may have some pretty stuff, but getting parts down the line can be a major pain, and likely costly.

If you are going to be replacing the walls, then your choices are unlimited. If you wish to keep what you have, then you'd probably have to see what trim from Symmons would fit.

On a remodel, you would be required to ensure the valve is an anti-scald version to meet current codes. The old one might, I don't know.

Tearing out enough tile to replace the valve means doing something similar. The plumber may be willing to tear up the wall, but not redo the tile work.

Once you have the wall open enough to replumb, the choices are pretty open. If the supply pipes are old galvanized steel, tearing things out and replacing with copper or possibly pex would be a good idea.

organic_smallhome

Reaction score
Personal opinion, Kohler may have some pretty stuff, but getting parts down the line can be a major pain, and likely costly.

If you are going to be replacing the walls, then your choices are unlimited. If you wish to keep what you have, then you'd probably have to see what trim from Symmons would fit.

On a remodel, you would be required to ensure the valve is an anti-scald version to meet current codes. The old one might, I don't know.

Tearing out enough tile to replace the valve means doing something similar. The plumber may be willing to tear up the wall, but not redo the tile work.

Once you have the wall open enough to replumb, the choices are pretty open. If the supply pipes are old galvanized steel, tearing things out and replacing with copper or possibly pex would be a good idea.

Thank you for your helpful comments. I didn't realize that the tile would have to be torn out to replace the valve. I guess that's what my plumber meant when he said that I'd have to buy a new version of the same thing. But what would be the point of that? It looks like I won't be replacing anything. :(

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks