Gas Supply to Grill

Users who are viewing this thread

Jasonmcl

Reaction score
I would like to add a 90,000 BTU natural gas grill to my patio. I already have a 1/2” stub on the patio that is 85 feet from the manifold. The piping is 1/2” and is run out of Parker PGP-8 flexible piping. My main gas meter indicates 5 psig and is run to a Maxitrol 325-5A regulator through 3/4“ flexible pipe that is approximately 50 feet in length. After the Maxitrol regulator there is a manifold consisting of 3 furnaces, water heater, gas log, and stub to patio. My question is can I supply enough gas for my grill through the 1/2 “ line? thanks

IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2512.jpg

IMG_2514.jpg

IMG_2516.jpg

Last edited:

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Gas Supply

Your question is more complicated than you think. That 5lb.psi you are reading is probably the incoming pressure to the meter, the regulator should tell you the pressure going to your system, from that point you have to figure the total load on the system fixture x fixture and size of pipe till you get to your proposed hook up, then your question can be answered.

BTW your links do not work, you have to use something like potobucket.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If I had to guess (and if you calculate you won't have to), my guess is no way would you supply the proper amount of gas to that big grill with 1/2" at that distance.

For one that big, it probably says in the instructions at least a 3/4" line, and you might need more. This might mean a new meter, too.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas company

Not here. They tell you that if you are qualified to install the line, you are also smart enough to figure the size. Well, you figure it ,and the city inspection department okays it. But normally you would either have 1/4 psi or 2 psi in your system. Houses NEVER have a 5 psi system, that is reserved for large commercial systems.

Jasonmcl

Reaction score
Based on charts and the 1/2 psi after the regulator I don't think it will be enough for an 85 ft run Can I tie into the gas line before the regulator in the attic and then add a regulator at the grill? The higher pressure should allow the BTUs needed.

Jasonmcl

Reaction score
I would definately have a plumber install if a new tie in needs to be added. I am just trying to determine my capabilites.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Not here. They tell you that if you are qualified to install the line, you are also smart enough to figure the size. Well, you figure it ,and the city inspection department okays it. But normally you would either have 1/4 psi or 2 psi in your system. Houses NEVER have a 5 psi system, that is reserved for large commercial systems.

Same here, and probably just about everywhere. What I was delicately trying to say is call the gas company and have them do the work. I would have all that CSST removed at the same time, but that's just my natural prejudice against products proven to have failed with tragic results.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

The 5 psi on the regulator is its MAXIMUM rated capacity. Over 5 psi it would lockup and shut off all flow. Our gas company does NOTHING after the meter, except tell you that you have a leak and locks the meter until it is repaired and the city approves the lock being removed. The only problem with CSST is that it is not perfect. I had a stucco company shoot 3 staples into one of my installations. It took a leak detection company to find where they were.

dlh

plumbing consultant
Reaction score
i dont like the looks of that installation as far as the csst goes. looks very unprofessional

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Gas Regulator

The 5 psi on the regulator is its MAXIMUM rated capacity. Over 5 psi it would lockup and shut off all flow. Our gas company does NOTHING after the meter, except tell you that you have a leak and locks the meter until it is repaired and the city approves the lock being removed. The only problem with CSST is that it is not perfect. I had a stucco company shoot 3 staples into one of my installations. It took a leak detection company to find where they were.

hj: If you get a close look at the regulator you will see 6-10 inches on it a little less tha 1/2lb., that may be why the owner thinks he has 5lb, he's missing those numbers. :)

DavidMc

Reaction score
You've got 2psi coming through the meter up to the Maxitrol regulator. Like some others have said, at 85' the 1/2" pipe is not going to carry that load. If you could tie in before the regulator like someone suggested and install a seperate Maxitrol at the grill and it would work. As far as meter size, your borderline at capacity now, but chances are every gas appliance won't be running at the same time anyway, but you should inform the local gas co. just in case they would prefer to change it out.
I would also think your at or near the capacity of the existing Maxitrol appliance regulator with the other appliances you mentioned.

Good luck with the project , sounds like a heck of a grill :)

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/natural-gas-pipe-calculator-d_1042.html

http://www.gpta.net/Classes/Gas%20sizing/Gaspipe%20Sizing.pdf

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I bet that stub once ran a "gas powered air conditioner".

My neighbor used to have one of these and for the life of me I cannot figure how it worked.

Does anyone know?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
2 lbs. is the max inlet to the meter, not necessarily what he has coming into it. The only way to tell for sure is to put a manometer on the down stream side of the meter. 5lbs is the max inlet for the regulator. Either way, messing with gas is a good way to burn the house down. Call a pro and sleep at night.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
a/c

It was an adsorbic air conditioner. Some buildings here have gas powered generators or compressors and they use the heat from the exhaust to power the A/C just like the gas did. The old Servel refrigerators and modern RV refrigerators work the same way.

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
I bet that stub once ran a "gas powered air conditioner".

My neighbor used to have one of these and for the life of me I cannot figure how it worked.

Does anyone know?

I think there are 2 ways to do it. One is to just use the gas to run an engine to drive the compressor. The other is Absorption Cooling. http://www.gasairconditioning.org/absorption_how_it_works.htm

I figure any home unit at that age would be the first type. But that is just a guess on my part.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The gas powered refrigeration cycle uses a combination of ammonia and water instead of the more common refrigerants. The ammonia and water are mixed and the heat from the gas flame boils the ammonia as the ammonia boils the water separates from it and returns to the reservoir. The ammonia moves into the evap coil, and expands to a gas. RV refrigerators use heating elements AC or DC or a propane flame. There is no compressor or for that matter, moving parts.

DavidMc

Reaction score
2 lbs. is the max inlet to the meter, not necessarily what he has coming into it. The only way to tell for sure is to put a manometer on the down stream side of the meter. 5lbs is the max inlet for the regulator. Either way, messing with gas is a good way to burn the house down. Call a pro and sleep at night.

Actually 5psi is the max recommended inlet pressure for that meter and it is metering at (or near) 2psi - It has a 2lb pressure compensating index on it. Good advice to call a pro - if your not qualified to do the gas fitting, please call a certified gas fitter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks