Gallon setting for Kinetico meter softener

Users who are viewing this thread

kosiko

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I got my Kinetico Powerline 0840 installed today, it's 0.7cu rasin with Fleck 5600 meter head, it says has 21000 gain capacity.

My water hardness is 7ggp, if I divide 21000/7 then I get 3000gallon per refresh. Of course I should give some buffer, like set it as 2800gallon. But the guy set 1800Gallon for me, to me that I think he wastes 1000gallon capacity, am I right?

Also, If I set it as 2800 or 2500gallon, I may need 2 weeks to reach this usage which means every two weeks it refresh 1 time, will 2 weeks period a problem?

Thank you
Kosiko

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Hi guys,

I got my Kinetico Powerline 0840 installed today, it's 0.7cu rasin with Fleck 5600 meter head, it says has 21000 gain capacity.

My water hardness is 7ggp, if I divide 21000/7 then I get 3000gallon per refresh. Of course I should give some buffer, like set it as 2800gallon. But the guy set 1800Gallon for me, to me that I think he wastes 1000gallon capacity, am I right?

Also, If I set it as 2800 or 2500gallon, I may need 2 weeks to reach this usage which means every two weeks it refresh 1 time, will 2 weeks period a problem?

Thank you
Kosiko
You should read what I said in your other thread.

You have less than 3/4 cuft of resin and only get 21K IF you set the salt dose at like 10-11 lbs. You will have a constant SFR of less than 6.75 gpm.

And 21K is the max K of capacity, so if you use that, your salt efficiency is going to be terrible, like 2000 grains/lb. And nothing should be run at max capacity IMO.

If you have a mechanical meter version of the 5600, the maximum gallons on the meter is 2100 BUT...

The 5600 in any version, requires a reserve capacity of one days total grains used so that if the meter gallons count down to 0, you run on the reserve capacity and have soft water until the next 2 AM when a regeneration can be done.

Some dealers will subtract like 20% of the capacity from the meter setting, I don't agree with that way of coming up with the reserve because the meter can 0 at say like 6 AM and 20% of a days use means you run out of capacity (soft water) before the next 2 AM.

You never answered me as to how many people there are in your household. How many?

How many bathrooms do you have?

What version of 5600 do you have?

Last edited:

kosiko

Reaction score
You should read what I said in your other thread.

You have less than 3/4 cuft of resin and only get 21K IF you set the salt dose at like 10-11 lbs. You will have a constant SFR of less than 6.75 gpm.

And 21K is the max K of capacity, so if you use that, your salt efficiency is going to be terrible, like 2000 grains/lb. And nothing should be run at max capacity IMO.

If you have a mechanical meter version of the 5600, the maximum gallons on the meter is 2100 BUT...

The 5600 in any version, requires a reserve capacity of one days total grains used so that if the meter gallons count down to 0, you run on the reserve capacity and have soft water until the next 2 AM when a regeneration can be done.

Some dealers will subtract like 20% of the capacity from the meter setting, I don't agree with that way of coming up with the reserve because the meter can 0 at say like 6 AM and 20% of a days use means you run out of capacity (soft water) before the next 2 AM.

You never answered me as to how many people there are in your household. How many?

How many bathrooms do you have?

What version of 5600 do you have?

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your information. I don't really understand the relationship between the salt dose size and SFR as you mentioned below:

"You have less than 3/4 cuft of resin and only get 21K IF you set the salt dose at like 10-11 lbs. You will have a constant SFR of less than 6.75 gpm"

Sure I will try to read my previous topic later.

Yes, I have mechanical meter version, and also confirm 2100 is the max gallons I can set there. I have 2 adults and 2 babies, 2 bathrooms.

According to my observation on the meter on the fleck5600, seem my house is only use 100gallons per day recently; according to my previous water bill, the max daily water usage is only about 160gallon (last year, when I have my mom visit me I think).

So, even I set the meter to 2100, base on my water quality 7gpg, I use only 14700 gain, 70% of the max compacity, sounds like ok, correct me if I am wrong. But up to 21 days refresh seems too long, will that a problem and damage the resin?

I don't know how to set the salt dose size and I have no idea how much they set for me.

Thank you

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You must know the salt dose lbs because they and the volume and type of resin controls how many K of capacity you regenerate.

The people you bought the softener from should have told you all this before you bought the softener.

If they set the salt dose, they should have set the gallons too.

Who did you buy the softener from?

Go to the link below to learn about sizing etc..

http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/softeners/sizingchart.htm

kosiko

Reaction score
Gary,

If I remember correctly, they said it will need 8lb salt + 80Gallons water per regeneration.

Thanks for your link, I just still don't know how to set the salt dose size & gallon meter to get the best result (salt efficiency, regeneration cycle etc.) , especially in this link, how to get the "Salt Dose Capacity" value:

http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/sizing.php

I will like to know how this things work together.

I bought it from a local Kinetico dealer. Let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks