SPA Disconnect Feeder Ground

Users who are viewing this thread

smahon

Reaction score
I've read, searched and scratched and still wonder. I will be wiring an outdoor, 4-wire, 50A SPA this weekend. I have the permit and need to know:

1) Can the EMC conduit (to be installed "on" my house) from my Service Panel to my Spa Disconnect (50A GFCI contained in disconnect panel) act as my ground to the Spa Disconnect? Planning to run 3 - #6 THHN, black, red, white for load and neutral to the disconnect. If not, I presume I will need to add a #10 THHN green for ground.

2) What is the appropriate method (tubing/wire type) to wire the supply side of the disconnect into the side of the tub and around to the other side for connection to the equipment panel?

Last edited:

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
1) Absolutely not. The ground for a spa circuit when run outside MUST be insulated.
Yes, #10 would normally be sufficient, but the installations instructions may call for larger.

2) I assume you mean from the load side of the disconnect.
This depends on the spa itself. You can use up to 6' of liquidtite flexible conduit.

smahon

Reaction score
1) Absolutely not. The ground for a spa circuit when run outside MUST be insulated.
Yes, #10 would normally be sufficient, but the installations instructions may call for larger.

2) I assume you mean from the load side of the disconnect.
This depends on the spa itself. You can use up to 6' of liquidtite flexible conduit.

Thanks, that's what I originally understood too, until I read somewhere in another part of the general code, that EMC would suffice as a ground for a feeder circuit. Anyhow, I ended up buying grey schedule 40 uv rated PVC, so the question is moot. Also, the electric supply would only sell 500 feet rolls of #10, so I bought #8 green for the ground (they would cut 8 or larger).

Now, for the load side. Does that 6' of liquidtite only apply to the exposed portion? I have to run wire into one corner of the spa and around two sides to get to the connection panel, about 12' inside. I was planning on running PVC up to the spa, then connect it to liquidtite for the run through the access hole (that I need to drill) to the connection panel. It would be much easier if I can run 6' of liquidtite outside the spa in addition to the 12' inside. For that matter, does the run inside the spa even need to be in liquidtite?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks