Sine wave monitor

Users who are viewing this thread

R_2016

Reaction score
Hi, I am wondering if there are any pc programs out there that I can use to monitor my household (sinewave) power. Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What aspect do you want to monitor? Voltage, wave shape, current, frequency?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The big question would be WHY? The frequency is controlled to a very tight tolerance by the power company. Are you doing anything geeky at home which would somehow affect the waveshape??

To answer your question, powerline voltage monitors are very common, with a recorder, and these days I would assume any model would have some kind of serial or USB interface.

Frequency and waveshape are monitored with an oscilloscope, and a data interface should be available on those as well. Simple programs are undoubtedly available to display the data.

As always, let your fingers do the walking>>> GOOGLE

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
The guy on the following page shows tests of sine waves from various devices. Shows that not all sine waves are equal!

He is using an oscilloscope. And for your PC to monitor this, you would need some sort of device to test with which would connect to your computer as well as the software.

Basically the computer has no "direct testing" connection to the power.

Observations on the quality of power produced by various backup devices...
http://www.jkovach.net/projects/powerquality/

Oscilloscope...
agilent_dso3202a.jpg

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Hi, I am wondering if there are any pc programs out there that I can use to monitor my household (sinewave) power. Thanks
Your tax dollars already paid for these kind of stats.

Prying them out of PoCo is another thing altogether.

I once saw a chart of NYC power. They had the envelope of 1/day, 1/week, 1/month transient magnitude and duration. Newspapers get this kind of info way easier than us peasants.

Power quality is worse in FL or the Ozarks.
http://books.google.com/books?id=SY...ahqMEB&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3

But, yeah, what question are you hoping to answer?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sine wave

He may be trying to replicate one of the "power saving" devices that purport to condition the sine waves to "equalize" and "eliminate" the wasted power in your home.

R_2016

Reaction score
What I want to do is monitor the incoming power from the electric company. Sometimes at my house we get voltage sags and spikes, so I want to be able to monitor it with some kind of program that will create log files so I can keep an eye on things.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
The more level of detail you want, the more it will cost. Resolving a 1 µS spike needs a bandwidth of at least 350 kHz.

Last edited:

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
I once wrote a program that uses the PC sound card and a AC wall wart and a resistor divider, however most sound cards have a bit of phase distortion at 60hz.

As for better equipment there are lots of USB based scope boards. Most of the scope boards accept low voltage voltages. You can drop the voltage using a AC output wall wart or by using a 24volt "control" transformer.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
What I want to do is monitor the incoming power from the electric company. Sometimes at my house we get voltage sags and spikes, so I want to be able to monitor it with some kind of program that will create log files so I can keep an eye on things.

Actually large computer facilities want "clean power" and do so with a large "online" "true sine wave" UPS system.

And these log all "power events" which would be anything with the power which is not as it should be.

I've seen these and they were recording events at least once an hour. Sometimes every half hour.

I don't know if smaller UPS units would have the detailed logging abilities of these larger units or not? But these might do what you want.

(And a UPS is an "Uninterruptible Power Supply")

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
power

If all you want to do is register the voltage coming in, there are all kinds of recording meters which make a continuous log on a circular disc. The particular meter will determine whether the disc records a 24 hours or 7 days period. But I don't know how the knowledge will help you, because whatever your incoming power is, that is ALL that the power company can/will provide, and you will have to live with it.

sawdust123

Reaction score
Audio Precision has a device called the ATS1 or Portable 1 that will show you voltage frequency and the distortion levels of the incoming sine wave. Of course, it does a lot more too but you would only care if you were an audio guy. They sell for several thousand dollars.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks