Is there enough power here

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY

Reaction score
I want to install 3 new window a/c units. 2 - at 5,000 BTU , 1 - at 10,000 or perhaps 12,000 BTU. The service in this place is 100amp. My question is if 2 or 3 a/c units were on at the same time would this cause breaker(s) to trip?

The 2- 5,000 BTU units will be in seperate rooms plugged into standard 110 receptacles in each room. Each of the 2 rooms that the a/c will be plugged into also controls other outlets and lights on that same circuit. (i have not looked yet but i am sure each room(s) is on either a 15 or 20amp breaker)

The 10 to 12,000 BTU unit would be plugged into a dedicated circuit or it might have one maybe two other things on it (light, ceiling fan)

Any other information needed to work this out correctly let me know!

Thanks to all!

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If you are running new circuits for the AC's, no problem. If you want to plug them into existing circuits, you may have a problem. It depends on what elese is on the existing circuit(s).

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Off the cuff, the 5k BTU unit may draw something like 5 amps, and a 10 or 12K btu unit....around 8 to 9. Obviously you could not run any two of these on one circuit, but it each was on a separate breaker, you would be all right. But anything like a microwave, hair dryer, or large audio vidio set up, mixed with the A/C, could put any circuit over.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It somewhat depends on what else is in the house that's a big electrical load. Older refrigerators, electric stove, electric dryer, electric water heater. If everything was on at the same time, you might blow the main breaker.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I want to install 3 new window a/c units. 2 - at 5,000 BTU , 1 - at 10,000 or perhaps 12,000 BTU. The service in this place is 100amp.

5000 BTU/hr at COP = 3 = 500w = 4A at 120v.
10K BTU = 8A
If they all start at the same time you may have a problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks