Venting Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

dabensys

Reaction score
All,

I am remodeling my 25 year old master bath and I have a question about proper v enting of the shower. All fixtures are moving in the room, but I'm trying to preserve as much of the DWV in the walls as I can.

The original plumbing had the 2" shower drain wying into a 2" vent pipe which then wyed into the 3" WC waste line about 3' downstream of the closet bend.
Both the toilet and the shower were vented with the 2" vent, which goes through the roof. Nothing else is on the vent.

Attached is a drawing of how I want to do my lauout using the existing 3" waste and 2" vent in the wall. My county goes by the IPC 2009 and I find no applicable exclusions or restrictions on venting in the county code.

Is my layout legal according to the 2009 IPC?

Thank you.

Attachments

• masterbath.JPG
    masterbath.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 330

dabensys

Reaction score
Vent

As soon as you connect the shower AFTER the toilet, you need a vent for it, period, end of story.

Thanks hj for the advice. Ideally, I would like to run things as in this picture (below). My problem is where the old 3" waste line from the toilet connects to the stack. The bottom of the 90 is actually below the level of the ceiling of the first floor, so I cannot gain access to the stack to cut off the 90 to make my connections without tearing some kitchen cabinets down (the kitchen is directly below the master bath).

HOWEVER, if I could get access to the stack and cut off the 90, what fitting(s) would I need to use to make the connections I have noted in the circle in my drawing?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Attachments

• masterbath.bmp
    24.2 KB · Views: 341

dabensys

Reaction score
where is the Lav? where are you going to wash your hands?

Brent,

Good morning. The Lav is on the 14' down on other end of the room on a wall that is back-to-back with the 2nd floow hall bath. I kept it (and the bathtub) out of the drawing b/c they both connect to different vents/stacks. However, once I've gotten the current issue resolved w/r/t gthe WC and Shower, I may have some questions regarding the Lav and Tub.

Thanks,

David

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks