Wiring up the pond

Users who are viewing this thread

Blk90s13

Reaction score
Ok so I have a big pond in the back yard trying to change over the mess the previous owner left behind

I have a 30amp breaker feeding a 10-3 line to the outside I made sure its a UF line that can be used outside

then I put that in a junction box split it down to 14-3 lines for outlets and some spot light switches

here is my questions :

Can i just use a GFI breaker ? or does each and every outlet have to be GFI ? the are 3 outlets all on its each line I know when they are a 2 gang one can be GFI as long as its the first inline right ?

What do i do with the red wire ? its capped at every outlet right now ? can that stay as it is ?

I wanna have a switch to control 2 spot lights on the deck shooting at the pond how do I wire an inline switch do I have to buy a special switch ?

The breaker is wired right ( I had a certified electrician do it while rewiring the entire basment ) he told me I can use the existing wire as it is its good to go 10-3 from panel to a junction box half way in the basment then 10-3 to the outside ( reds are tied in together no clue why we even using a 3 wire anyway ? )

10-3 = wht blk red and bare neutral
12-3 = wht blk red and bare neutral

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The bare wire is called the safety ground, the white wire is the neutral.

Depending on how the recepticles are wired, you may or may not be able to use a single GFCI device. If you can use feed-through the first box to the others, you only need one. If each is run independently, you may not be able to use a single one. Only if you can feed subsequent devices from the load side of the GFCI will they be protected by it. If it branches out from one box, if there isn't a recepticle there, you might find it cheaper to just add one there, and then feed the other lines from the load side of the GFCI.

A 10-3 cable would allow you to use one wire as either a switched leg, to provide 220vac, or to create two independent (shared neutral) circults.

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
I have a 30amp breaker feeding a 10-3 line to the outside I made sure its a UF line that can be used outside

then I put that in a junction box split it down to 14-3 lines for outlets and some spot light switches
You cannot have a 30 ampere circuit breaker on a circuit that has #14 wire. You have a hazardous condition. Furthermore, general-purpose circuits may not be protected at any more than 20 amperes.

You need to either get rid of that #14 wire or else change the circuit breaker to a 15 ampere unit.

Blk90s13

Reaction score
do they make a 15 amp double ? I dont wanna get into the box other than changing a breaker

and the # 14 wire cost me close to $100 so that aint going no where now breaker will be changed

can someone answer me on how to wire a through switch ? I wanna control two spot lights with one switch the feed will come from the feed like through the switch to the lights

which wires to I cut hot or neutral ?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The kind of questions you are asking make me queasy...I feel pretty competant as a DIY'er, and have done many things. And, I've tried to help a lot of people here. But, I did a lot of research. You need some on-site guidance before you do something that ends up getting someone electricuted. There's more than one way to do what you want right and a LOT of ways to do it wrong.

Blk90s13

Reaction score
The kind of questions you are asking make me queasy...I feel pretty competant as a DIY'er, and have done many things. And, I've tried to help a lot of people here. But, I did a lot of research. You need some on-site guidance before you do something that ends up getting someone electricuted. There's more than one way to do what you want right and a LOT of ways to do it wrong.

thanks for the input its all figured out

I wont come sue you if you tell me how to wire a switch anyway I dont know who you are

When you need help with automotive subjects let me know I will have the perfect answer for you ;)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks