Receptacles

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I am slowly semi-finishing my basement. It will be one big open space. The process will involve putting up steel studs around the perimeter (almost done), install basic electrics, drywall, lighting, a drop ceiling and flooring in that order.

My framing is up and I am about to install receptacles on new circuits (AFCI, I think for this), 12 inches off the floor and no more than 12 feet apart. Would putting them at 6 feet apart around the perimeter be overkill or sensible?

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't think that is overkill on a "multipurpose room" where the demand to plug in little chatzkies might be great. But if "heavy" uses such as microwave or mini frig, large computer or entertainment center, etc etc. were contemplated, you might want to have more than one circuit in there. Not a big extra expense at this point.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks Jimbo and I will do that.

Once the circuits are in (I have room in my panel) I will also have my panel professionally upgraded from a 100 amp service to a 200 amp service.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I do not know what code says about spacing on recepticles, but 8' may be too far apart! I thought it was closer than that now...double-check. I know a kitchen is a special case, but I thought other rooms were updated as well.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
No, it's still 12' apart and 6' from an opening.

It is rare that I personally go that far apart though.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Basement I like mine further off the floor
Heck I'd like all of mine 2' off the ground as I get older :D

My basement is damp
So right now most of mine are attached to the ceiling joists
I do have one in the utility room about 3' off the ground

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I am hoping that having a ring of receptacles 12 inches off of the floor will help keep the basement dry and avoid the need for a sump pump.

As the water rises and shorts each one, heat will evaoporate the rain water.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Think of it this way, the cord on many lamps is often barely 5' or so. This may put it out of range of an outlet if spaced at the maximum allowable. Plus, in today's heavy electronic use, it's much nicer to have enough available without having to use extension cords, or compromise your layout options.

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'd go 6' apart. I'd also go 16-18" off the floor. While there is no code as to how high off the floor to place the receptacles, a trick I was taught was to place your hammer against the stud, then put the box in and rest it on top of the head. That sets your height. An standard claw hammer should put you right at about 16".

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
I also agree with going a bit higher. While it may sound excessive I would go every 4 ft and a circuit per wall or per 2 walls. I did similar in my living room and love it, so does the wife. There is ALWAYS an outlet available for a fan or laptop or cell charger or....

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
One other thing to consider is placement of major equipment when you are running new circuits. Don't know how "crazy" your entertainment area is planned out to be but if you can, dedicate a circuit to the wall where your TV/Stereo/Theater is planned and maybe another dedicated circuit if you plan on having a wet bar that may have a microwave/blender it could be benificial.

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
Yup, sounds excessive.
I bet you ran out of panel space real quick.

Why? I put in a 200A panel with the max allowed spaces (42 I think.) Also an extra outlet or 2 per wall does not mean I needed an extra breaker for it. I have NO 1/2 space breakers and I have 1/2 my panel available yet.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
I put in a 200A panel with the max allowed spaces (42 I think.) Also an extra outlet or 2 per wall does not mean I needed an extra breaker for it. I have NO 1/2 space breakers and I have 1/2 my panel available yet.
How big is the house? 800 sq/ft?

I do enough "typical" houses, with 200A services, with all the regular stuff, wire pretty conservatively (as in 6-10 rec on a circuit, 2-3 in kitchens), and I have a hard time not filling a 200A panel.
I think there is more to the story.

osb

Reaction score
Consider "Quads"

I don't think that is overkill on a "multipurpose room" where the demand to plug in little chatzkies might be great. But if "heavy" uses such as microwave or mini frig, large computer or entertainment center, etc etc. were contemplated, you might want to have more than one circuit in there. Not a big extra expense at this point.

Couldn't agree more! More is better as long as you are not bothered by the looks. Suggestion, if you have a couple areas that you plan to place electronics (entertainment center) or work areas (hobby or work bench) you might consider using a "Quad" or "Double Duplex" in those areas. I know I often need more outlets along with more locations. Much better/safer than using plug strips or adapters. Be sure to check local codes in addition to national code.

Note: First post. Appears to be a great group of trades folks and DIYers.
Glad to find the forum and look forward to being a part.

Last edited:

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
Well it is about 1700 SQft house. The kitchen has 5 circuts not counting the lights. Lights for the house are all on 4 15A circuts. The living room has 4 total circuts, 2 shared with other rooms. Bathroom has 2 circuts, laundry room has 4 counting the washer and dryer ( gas so 120 only)

I have more outlets than required by NEC and plenty of power abvalible at any given point. NO circut has more than 6 receptocles. Any place that is likely to have a high draw has at leat 2 circuts avalible. We spent a fair amount of time planing out our power usage. We also went with if in doubt and another outlet or circut as the case may be.

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
Well it is about 1700 SQft house. The kitchen has 5 circuts not counting the lights. Lights for the house are all on 4 15A circuts. The living room has 4 total circuts, 2 shared with other rooms. Bathroom has 2 circuts, laundry room has 4 counting the washer and dryer ( gas so 120 only)

I have more outlets than required by NEC and plenty of power abvalible at any given point. NO circut has more than 6 receptocles. Any place that is likely to have a high draw has at leat 2 circuts avalible. We spent a fair amount of time planing out our power usage. We also went with if in doubt and another outlet or circut as the case may be.

osb

Reaction score

Sounds like you did good!!

You will enjoy the benefits for years to come. Keeping in mind NEC is minimum with safety a priority. Adding circuits and outlets is always money well spent.

Slightly off topic, but a word to the wise. DIY electricians often go too short on the make-up or free-wire in the boxes. Don't cut the wire to less than 6 inches outside the box !!!!!!! I don't know how many times I have gone to make a repair or trouble shoot and find the wires are so short that you can barely clear the outlet from the box. I swear that they make up the receptacle then pull the wire back out of the box and staple it! Min. is 6" free. FYI

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks