Is this to code? (Stack Replacement)

Users who are viewing this thread

momisana

Reaction score
Well, six weeks later, we FINALLY got our cracked stack replaced. We got three estimates, went with the most expensive one and the nicest people who promised only quality work.

Only now, we're not so sure we made the right decision. First of all, is the attached photo to code? This is a vertial CI stack on the exterior of our house. The coupling is about 8 or 9 feet off the ground. We were under the impression that they would replace it at the joint just above it...?

Also, they said they would replace the rusted out brackets (2nd picture) that attach it to the house (the house is 100 yrs old - the plumbing is not but probably not too far behind). And, they said since the stack terminated just above the roof that they would extend it another six inches or so to clear the attic vent. They didn't do this. Neither of these last two items are in the estimate but was discussed at length with us - the extension was actually stated by the plumber as the way it needed to be done (not sure if to meet code or just to prevent the sewer gases from entering the attic...?).

If the stack is okay, just let us know... We really have no idea. Thanks!

Attachments

• stack_4302.jpg
    stack_4302.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 372
  • bracket_4301.jpg
    bracket_4301.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The pic looks OK but my question to you is did they charge you the same price for what they did...going through the roof would have been much more work...so doing less work should lowered the price charged by quite a bit...

How many feet of pipe was replaced?

momisana

Reaction score
They replaced about 10 feet or so? It doesn't go through the roof - it's all on the outside and terminates just above the roofline.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Did they reduce the price quoted since they didn't go through the roof thus doing less work?

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
The strongest point of cast iron is closest to the hub. It all looks good to me. I have done many stack repairs in my time as a plumber and looks like they did an A1 job to me.

momisana

Reaction score
Seweratz - thanks - that's all we wanted to know. :)

Did they reduce the price quoted since they didn't go through the roof thus doing less work?

The price quotes was not for going *through* the roof - it was for extending it *above* the roof. However, that part was not written - just verbally explained.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Whenever work is done you need to have it spelled out in the contract exactly what will be done. Have you called them to ask why the work discussed was not completed?

momisana

Reaction score
NEW problem: sewer water in the front yard

Whenever work is done you need to have it spelled out in the contract exactly what will be done. Have you called them to ask why the work discussed was not completed?

They're coming back today for ANOTHER problem that popped up over the weekend and we'll ask them then.

The new problem: we now have a rising level of sewage in the front yard, just above the buried sewer line. This is new - appeared a day or two after they left. Any thoughts?!? (I may start a new thread on this...)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks