Will a nicked copper pipe ever leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

yakman

Reaction score
Hello,

If one were to nick the hot water copper pipe with a hand saw while removing the surrounding stud, :eek: and it does not leak now, does that mean forever no leak?

Thanks,

Doug

inspectorgene

Reaction score
I ain't no plumber, but I wouldn't bet on it-depending on the size of the nick, of course.

I would [at least] put a pipe repair band on it as a precaution before sealing the wall back up.

YMMV

Hello,

If one were to nick the hot water copper pipe with a hand saw while removing the surrounding stud, :eek: and it does not leak now, does that mean forever no leak?

Thanks,

Doug

yakman

Reaction score
pipe repair band? Hadn't seen one of those before. Google search found a 1/2" x 3" stainless steel band with a neoprene liner and tightening bolt attached to it. Is this what you're talking about?

I suppose the neoprene sleeve would support the nicked wall.

The best way to solve this is probably to cut on the nicked surface and couple right there with a soldered joint.

Is a nicked no leak pipe stronger than a coupled soldered pipe?:confused:

Thanks,

Doug

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
patch it with solder

you can cut it if you so wish and put a sharkbite or coupling
in the line

One easy way is to
drain the pipes and simply put a patch of
solder over nick in the pipe

you can actually repair a frozen split copper pipe
bending it back together and soldering it shut....

so it is no big deal to just put a thick layer of solder
over the place you are worried about...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks