Another wining to fog horn sound

Users who are viewing this thread

NealWalters

Reaction score
My issue is very similar to this:
https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22888&highlight=foghorn

I can't tell exactly where the sound is coming from - but it seems to be either the hot water heater, or a small bathroom.

I've read all the other posts, and need help to narrow down the culprit.

1) I turned off the electricity and ran the hot water till it turned cold. That seemed to diminish the sound from a small fog horn to an even smaller one.

2) I turned what shut-off valves I could under the bathroom sink to closed and then back to fully open position.

3) That hot water also serves the kitchen and washing machine - couldn't budge those shut-off valves. House is about 24 years old in Texas, and it's mucho caliente here.

4) I'm pretty sure it's not the toilet/flapper. The toilet is less than a year old and the sound doesn't seem to change when I flush. However, I did put a new flapper in a toilet on the other side of the house last week - could that be at all related?

5) Several people in the other threads suggested changing a washer - but how do I know which one? There's a stand-up tile shower in that bathroom that might be the culprit. How do I narrow down which washer or which sink/shower might be the issue?

6) The first time I heard the sound today was when I flushed and washed hands. When I open the water on the sink, the sound goes down quite a bit, or maybe completely, but then when I turn the water off - the sound starts again.

7) One other freak thing happened yesterday - maybe I do have ghosts!
Maybe they are related. Even though I haven't turned on my sprinkler system for 2 years (due to crazy rationing laws), when I drove into my driveway yesterday, I saw water bubbling up from one of the sprinkler heads. I was afraid that the break was on the other side of the electronic valve, but...
I ran the RainBird gizmo through it's cycles, screwed the head of the bad sprinkler back on. No water coming out now.
Could the RainBird electronic gizmo have shorted and opened the sprinkler valves? I could just unplug it from the electrical outlet.

Thanks in advance!
Neal Walters

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
My issue is very similar to this:
https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22888&highlight=foghorn

I can't tell exactly where the sound is coming from - but it seems to be either the hot water heater, or a small bathroom.

I've read all the other posts, and need help to narrow down the culprit.

1) I turned off the electricity and ran the hot water till it turned cold. That seemed to diminish the sound from a small fog horn to an even smaller one.

2) I turned what shut-off valves I could under the bathroom sink to closed and then back to fully open position.

3) That hot water also serves the kitchen and washing machine - couldn't budge those shut-off valves. House is about 24 years old in Texas, and it's mucho caliente here.

4) I'm pretty sure it's not the toilet/flapper. The toilet is less than a year old and the sound doesn't seem to change when I flush. However, I did put a new flapper in a toilet on the other side of the house last week - could that be at all related?

5) Several people in the other threads suggested changing a washer - but how do I know which one? There's a stand-up tile shower in that bathroom that might be the culprit. How do I narrow down which washer or which sink/shower might be the issue?

6) The first time I heard the sound today was when I flushed and washed hands. When I open the water on the sink, the sound goes down quite a bit, or maybe completely, but then when I turn the water off - the sound starts again.

7) One other freak thing happened yesterday - maybe I do have ghosts!
Maybe they are related. Even though I haven't turned on my sprinkler system for 2 years (due to crazy rationing laws), when I drove into my driveway yesterday, I saw water bubbling up from one of the sprinkler heads. I was afraid that the break was on the other side of the electronic valve, but...
I ran the RainBird gizmo through it's cycles, screwed the head of the bad sprinkler back on. No water coming out now.
Could the RainBird electronic gizmo have shorted and opened the sprinkler valves? I could just unplug it from the electrical outlet.

Thanks in advance!
Neal Walters

Hmm, sounds like the washer in the toilet's shutoff valve is in need of changing.

And to answer #5 you go around and test each faucet, hot and cold, individually until you produce the sound.

If it is a washer in the toilet you can prove it simply by having everything else in the house off and flushing the toilet. If it doesn't seem to make the sound then try all the other fixtures one at a time.

NealWalters

Reaction score
Problem identified! I turned off the main just to be sure and the sound stopped. There was one other suspect I didn't mention above. I have a garden hose connected to a device that keeps water in the pool (it's kind of like a commode shut off valve). When I shut off the outside valve to that hose, the sound stops. So I think that's where I need a new washer - correct?

At least now I know I don't have a leak or something about to explode.

Thanks,
Neal

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Problem identified! I turned off the main just to be sure and the sound stopped. There was one other suspect I didn't mention above. I have a garden hose connected to a device that keeps water in the pool (it's kind of like a commode shut off valve). When I shut off the outside valve to that hose, the sound stops. So I think that's where I need a new washer - correct?

At least now I know I don't have a leak or something about to explode.

Thanks,
Neal

Yep, you need to pull it out and check it out!!!

Good luck.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
noise

No, if it was done correctly , you need a new anit siphon device between the faucet and hose. But, yours should be secured to the faucet so it cannot be removed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks