Gooseneck Faucet dripping problem

Users who are viewing this thread

dawnd3

Reaction score
Can anyone give me advice - I have 2 new faucets with similar problems.
I have a Franke high gooseneck kitchen faucet and after I turn the water off - it continues to drip for a while. When I remove the aerator - the excess water in the faucet pours out and then it's fine......until next time I use it.
Is there anything I can do with this?

Also - in my bathroom I have a Cifial high faucet - kind of an upside down L shape and there is always a drop of water hanging at the back of the faucet which, after quite a while, eventually drops off - to be replaced with another.

The builder has told me that it is the shape of the faucets in both instances that causes this problem but I can't see how quality manufacturers like Franke and Cifial would allow this.

Any help?

thanks

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The builder may be right. If you remove the airators and let the water out and the dripping stops then it is just the water slowly dripping out.

What leads you to believe that they are quality manufacturers?

dawnd3

Reaction score
Well I'll be - why is everyone so nasty about what I wrote? I guess telling you I installed Herbeau in the other bathrooms will really tick you off.
I actually went by the suggestion of the builders plumber but I suppose I should have known better than to trust someone in that field. Like trusting a car mechanic.................

Thanks anyway - not a problem, if it irritates me that much, I'll just change them and toss these away.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drip

The problem is not the faucet it is the aerator. Air does not easily flow through an aerator into the spout and until air DOES enter the spout the water cannot drain out. Therefore, a little air goes in, and a little water drips out. The process speeds up a little the longer it lasts, but will take time. IF the aerator were at an angle so the water could drain from the bottom while air entered the top it would drain almost immediately.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well I'll be - why is everyone so nasty about what I wrote? I guess telling you I installed Herbeau in the other bathrooms will really tick you off.
I actually went by the suggestion of the builders plumber but I suppose I should have known better than to trust someone in that field. Like trusting a car mechanic.................

Thanks anyway - not a problem, if it irritates me that much, I'll just change them and toss these away.

Your particular problem is related to the style/design of the faucet....a lot of water with no place to go. A similar design by another manufacturer may exhibit similar symptoms.

Now, as to quality.... service plumbers have to deal everyday with problems involving high priced faucets made by brands that are not well supported in the maintenance area. Technical diagrams may or may not be available, parts may have to be ordered direct from the mfg, etc.
On the one hand, we do not discount the axiom that you get what you pay for, but experience tells us that high-priced faucets sold at design studios do not guarantee quality or good engineering.

Everyone has their favorite brand or brands, but there is a reason why plumbers have a preference for time-proven designs from the mainstream.......Delta, Moen, American Standard, Price Pfister, Chicago. And of course with that list, I have started a whole new debate!

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score

Wow,
what a nerve, coming on to a plumbing website, getting free advice, and then ripping on plumbers. I really hope you paid a lot of money for those junk faucets.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Your particular problem is related to the style/design of the faucet....a lot of water with no place to go. A similar design by another manufacturer may exhibit similar symptoms.

Now, as to quality.... service plumbers have to deal everyday with problems involving high priced faucets made by brands that are not well supported in the maintenance area. Technical diagrams may or may not be available, parts may have to be ordered direct from the mfg, etc.
On the one hand, we do not discount the axiom that you get what you pay for, but experience tells us that high-priced faucets sold at design studios do not guarantee quality or good engineering.

Everyone has their favorite brand or brands, but there is a reason why plumbers have a preference for time-proven designs from the mainstream.......Delta, Moen, American Standard, Price Pfister, Chicago. And of course with that list, I have started a whole new debate!

Nah Jimbo...
I'll agree whole heartedly...
You can get the Toyota that goes an easy 150-200K on scheduled routine maintenance at any good garage at a normal rate...
Or, You can get the Ferrari which may need a bit more frequent tuning at a premium rate...

I'll work on either...
But on Foo-Foo I will guarantee that the additional PITA will be billable...
It's your choice the water comes out the same temperature and flow rate whether it is a Delta or, a Herbeau...

Just like the stoplights don't all turn green for a Ferrari, nor do the speed limit signs change.

Your just paying a premium price for the same result...

Of course you also might end up with a Hansa or, DeLorean type deal too...
Gone... Kaput... Out of Business... Oh Shoot where do I find the parts...

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Wow,
what a nerve, coming on to a plumbing website, getting free advice, and then ripping on plumbers. I really hope you paid a lot of money for those junk faucets.

Ahhh go easy on her....
She's just frustrated she got taken for a ride....:cool:

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
dawnd3, I believe HJ answered your question in his post. Hope that advice helps you. This forum is a helpful resource. Just gotta take the good with the bad. Your comments weren't in the least critical of plumbers. Take care.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucets

One other item. You may have purchased a $1,000 faucet, but in some cases, the actual working parts that wear out are the same ones that are in a $60 faucet, such as PricePfister, Central Brass, etc. In fact, when I come across that situation, I use the cheap parts rather than the same parts at a higher price from the third party manufacturer. You pay the extra money for a fancy spout and handles.

dawnd3

Reaction score
Thank you very, very much to HJ, Jimbo & Kingsotall - I appreciate you taking the time to answer. I wasn't going to check back but did so in the hope that someone did post advice. I have a similar style faucet by Kohler in my other kitchen and it dripped the same for a while but eventually stopped. I will hope these do the same.

To the rest:
First, I am a retired telephone installer - so keep your attitude and discrimination towards others you perceive to be different from you (ie: perhaps having more money or being a snob) where it belongs as I was "one of you" and it's demeaning to those in the trades. I said that about the car mechanic because I knew it would irritate you - as it always irritated me when someone thought I was an idiot because I did manual labor or that I needed to be watched so I didn't steal anything.

Second: I am happy to say I did not pay anywhere near full price for these faucets as, having lived a few lives, am well aware of "design store" prices and ripoffs. I did pay more for the handcrafted faucets and handles I wanted - fully understanding the guts may be the same as other brands but also hoping that the beauty and craftsmanship of the uppers (and that IS very high quality) would extend to the design and internal parts. It remains to be seen.

Finally: I implore you to be nice on these forums. If you are looking to get riled up - there are other forums I am sure you could find that encourage that. People such as myself use these forums for advice from those we hope and trust know far better than ourselves in a particular field.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
"To the rest:
First, I am a retired telephone installer - so keep your attitude and discrimination towards others you perceive to be different from you (ie: perhaps having more money or being a snob) where it belongs as I was "one of you" and it's demeaning to those in the trades. I said that about the car mechanic because I knew it would irritate you - as it always irritated me when someone thought I was an idiot because I did manual labor or that I needed to be watched so I didn't steal anything."

Well it irritated me. I really don't understand why you said it, but you got the response you wanted out of me. Peace out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks