Help!! My Wife is going to FREAK!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Gregmo24

Reaction score
I promised my wife a new fancy LCD thermostat so I went out and bought a Lennox ComfortSense 7000 (since I have a Lennox HVAC system) to replace my Honeywell Chronotherm III.

My problem is that when I removed the Chronotherm from the wall, I discovered that my home only has a 4 wire configuration to run my HVAC system: Red (R), Blue (Y), Green (G), White (W). I tried to use the same configuration with the ComfortSense thermostat but it would never power up. I used the following configuration Red (R), Blue (C), Green (G), White (W) and it powered up, but wouldn't cut on my AC compressor.

When my wife finds out that I bought an expensive thermostat that can't even cut on the AC she's probably going to want to kill me. :eek:

What can I do?

The ComfortSense has the following wire terminals:
- C (Common 24 Vac)
- Y1 (1st stage heating or cooling)
- Y2 (2nd stage heating or cooling)
- B (Heat Active reversing valve)
- O (cool active reversing valve)
- W1 (1st stage heating)
- W2 (2nd stage heating)
- G (Fan Relay)
- R (24 Vac Power)

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
When all else fails read the directions...were there directions with it?

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Post the spec's on your Lennox HVAC system; not all systems take all 'stats.
http://www.hvacmechanic.com/tstatwiring.htm
Better yet, post a schematic [which may be found online or pasted inside a panel].

I think the Correlation Coefficient between 'stat changeout problems and
the wife's appearance
is around 0.00001 but Cookie might be onto something, anyway.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
You bet I am. Anytime, a man is afraid of his wife, I wouldn't want to meet her mother. :D

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I was using tongs to pick out bagels at the supermarket, when out of the corner of my eye I saw a woman walk up to me at great speed and then stop short.
Probably I was supposed to flinch.

I ignored her, so she said "EXCUSA ME!"
I said "You're excused."
She seemed to be of Asian origin.

But she wasn't done with me.
She said "IAMINAHURRY!"
I put on my best snarl, faced her and said "SO AM I."

She stood there a while longer during which time I calculated where to hit her to cause maximum demotivation without drawing blood.
Blood draws crowds, Master Kim taught me.
http://www.kim-studio.com/AboutUs/grandmasterkim.html

She left.

I don't know where these women come from. Are they born or made?

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Both. I have this supermarket near me, where one cannot go to on Sundays. This one Sunday my husband and I forgot. Your story reminded me of this alot.

My husband and I are very agreeable people. To a point.

So, there we are, pushing our cart through this store and it was progressively getting harder and harder through the increasing amount of people coming in.

Well, we were polite enough. We would wait before moving our cart in someone's way, we made sure we weren't hitting someone shins with it, but, it was getting to be too much for my husband.

He said to me with an urgency to his voice, " I got to get out here before I punch someone's lights out."

Honestly, at that point I couldn't understand it, even though I knew it was annoying.

Then, about a month or so ago, I forgot and headed up there on a Sunday. Now, of course, I am alone. He is gone.

So, I am milling through the store, and then, all of a sudden this wave of anger came over me, one too many times, I got shoved with the cart, got banged into, the skin came off my shins, old women grunting at me, old men, being rude to me, you get the point, then...

I lost it.

I threw my hands up in the air! PUSHED my cart into a pile of people saying, " KEEP IT."

I left. I knew I had to honestly, before I punched someone's lights out, lol.

People can really get under your skin.

Cookie

Reaction score
I promised my wife a new fancy LCD thermostat so I went out and bought a Lennox ComfortSense 7000 (since I have a Lennox HVAC system) to replace my Honeywell Chronotherm III.

My problem is that when I removed the Chronotherm from the wall, I discovered that my home only has a 4 wire configuration to run my HVAC system: Red (R), Blue (Y), Green (G), White (W). I tried to use the same configuration with the ComfortSense thermostat but it would never power up. I used the following configuration Red (R), Blue (C), Green (G), White (W) and it powered up, but wouldn't cut on my AC compressor.

When my wife finds out that I bought an expensive thermostat that can't even cut on the AC she's probably going to want to kill me. :eek:

What can I do?

- C (Common 24 Vac)
- W1 (1st stage heating)
- W2 (2nd stage heating)
- G (Fan Relay)
- R (24 Vac Power)

Buy your wife this outfit and she will forgive you,

2052168481_9177534362.jpg
ha ha ha ha ha ha, lol.

Last edited:

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Red (R), Blue (Y), Green (G), White (W). I tried to use the same configuration with the ComfortSense thermostat but it would never power up. I used the following configuration Red (R), Blue (C), Green (G), White (W) and it powered up, but wouldn't cut on my AC compressor.

What can I do?

- C (Common 24 Vac)
- W1 (1st stage heating)
- W2 (2nd stage heating)
- G (Fan Relay)
- R (24 Vac Power)

It should be
Red (R) to R
Blue (Y) to Y1
Green (G) to G
White (W) to W1

Wiring.JPG

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
It should be
Red (R) to R
Blue (Y) to Y1
Green (G) to G
White (W) to W1

View attachment 7664

But that still leaves one wire missing in order to power the thermostats display. It might work or it might be intermittent.

One thought would be to trade off the green fan control wire and use the green wire for the (C) common signal.

This "(C) to green to (C)" wiring would not let you manually turn on the fan, however the fan would still come on by itself as needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks