AWFUL SMELL IN THE BACK YARD and it is a tree

Users who are viewing this thread

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
My dad seems to think it is a Hazelnut, I think it's some type of japanese something.

When it goes into bloom, the smell is so atrocious that that you would think there was a chemical spill. It's horrible.

I couldn't open my door to my office today without smelling it. Talk about disgusting.

I have a video of it in the winter...probably won't confirm the type of tree it is.

It drops some type of fruit/nut/something that my mother injured her foot on years ago. Hazelnuts I guess. ????

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Is it a ginkgo? This tree comes in male and female forms. The female produces a fruit which is described as smelling rancid or like vomit.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
If a plumber says something smells bad then it must be serious.

Call the police. It must be a threat to public safety.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Take a piece of the tree to a knowledgable garden center, not like HD, a real one.

Cookie

Reaction score
These would be good if you don't have so good neighborly neighbors, line your property with them, lol. I would think from the description they might think you are raising skunks.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Everyone keeps telling me this is a hazelnut. What falls off the tree looks like porcupine balls with needles sticking out everywhere. I called a few porcupines, they said their balls are fine.

:D Atleast they didn't fall off a Redwood. :D

Cookie

Reaction score
Catalpa. I was talking to Peter and he said this tree, now here is an image but the leaves to me look different. He said, it is very fragrant he likes it, and they also, get green worms which fisherman love to fish with.

See what you think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalpa

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
¿

chestnut-bloom.jpg

American chestnut tree

Chinkapins

[URL="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/Castanopsis_cuspidata_SZ2.png]Castanopsis cuspidata[/URL] <--- This one looks very similar.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
More so than mine.

What if this tree is really rare and worth money, are we going to get a share? lol.
Check this out, these are really cool.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cookie

Reaction score
I emailed someone with the knowledge of this, this is his email, I had enclosed your picture to him.

Your tree seems to be a Castanea, a Chestnut, either Chinese Chestnut or American Chestnut, very rare. I grow neither, but I do grow the small running chestnuts called Chinquapin. Yours looke very much like the almost extinct American Chestnut. Where did it come from. I am not that familiar with Hazelnut, but your tree does not look like the American hazelnut I have.

Ha ha, we all want a share, Steve, LOL.:p

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Are you Dunbar Plumbing?

Ayyyeeiii-yup! Only on sundays though.

:eek:

The property I'm on? Used to be an orchard. We have catalpa trees everywhere because there was a bait shop here as well. They used to take the worms and sell them off.

The ground used to be covered with **** that was the weirdest looking poop I've ever seen. So neat we used to forced the kid down the street to eat it, telling him it was new style pez candy. He believed it till his mom came down furious as hell because her son had caterpillar poop all over his face, and we didn't. LOL!!! That dude became a karate kung fu dude along with being a police officer.

Scary.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks