advice on bulding up a shower base

Users who are viewing this thread

jfls45

Homeowner
Reaction score
I am installing a round shower base and need to elevate it a couple of inches or so to make room for the drain piping. What are some of the ways I can raise up the base without building a square base? I want the shape of the base to match the shape of the arc in this picture

Jeff

Attachments

• 100_1893.jpg
    100_1893.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 408
  • 100_1892.jpg
    100_1892.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Building shower base

If you would just get a professional plumber to make a legal piping connection

you would not have to mickey mouse the plumbing and make a platform

Cookie

Reaction score
This works too.
I know someone who has taken a garden hose connected to their laundry sink, hung it up with a coat hanger, wrapped a hula hoop around it all with curtain, and it extends over the main drain in the basement, and that is their shower.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I am installing a round shower base and need to elevate it a couple of inches or so to make room for the drain piping. What are some of the ways I can raise up the base without building a square base? I want the shape of the base to match the shape of the arc in this picture

Jeff

Dude,

You are suffering and these posts are cries for help.

jfls45

Homeowner
Reaction score
Serious posts only

I am not accepting anymore replies that are not serious in nature. Please only post serious answers to my questions.

Jeff

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What you are trying to do is always going to look like a kludge, and is likely to come back to bite you when you ever decide to sell the house, if not before. You should really consider doing it right now, than having to pay later.
You could just make yourself a form and pour concrete. You'll have to figure out a way to make the height look good, getting a curved baseboard out of wood would be subject to moisture damage and not that easy. Doing it in tile would give you a tough edge to the base of the unit - you'd have to use small tile to conform to the curve. Not too many good options, unless you do it right.

doc5md

Reaction score
building a base.

If you are dead-set in building up a base, here's what I would do.
Put shower pan on floor. trace it out. remove shower pan. cut lumber (2x4 or 2x whatever height you need) to extend from the wall to short of the line by a measurement you will have to calculate from the materials below that you will pick out. I'd run lots of pieces and when you are done you will have roughly the outer contour. on the ends, I'd use something flexible like 3/8ths ply, followed by ditra, follows by a very small tile on a mes backing that will deal well with the curves.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
followed by ditra

Ditra might work, but the manufacturer specifies a minimum of 2x2" tiles. While not on a floor, if you knocked it just right, you'd possibly break it. RedGard would work to waterproof things.

Still, better to do the plumbing right in the first place...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I am not accepting anymore replies that are not serious in nature. Please only post serious answers to my questions.

Jeff

Yea Jeff,
And us pro's are only accepting serious questions....

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Now quit huffing and get real!

huffing.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

doc5md

Reaction score
Ditra might work, but the manufacturer specifies a minimum of 2x2" tiles. While not on a floor, if you knocked it just right, you'd possibly break it. RedGard would work to waterproof things.

Still, better to do the plumbing right in the first place...

Ah yes, forgot about that. redgard is probably a better idea.
Quinn

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Don't forget to buy more home insurance for that shower.

Have you ever used a tub, or a shower that was built up?

I have.
It's one long step down when you get out.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I was in a (cheap) old hotel in London one time where they did this...almost killed myself getting out, and I was only there a week.

Some people will insist on a lousy workaround because they think it will save time, then have troubles forever after.

index.php

Guess it's like beating a dead horse...can't get it to move at all...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Don't forget to buy more home insurance for that shower.

Have you ever used a tub, or a shower that was built up?

I have.
It's one long step down when you get out.

And very dangerous on a wet surface. Doesn't matter what you weigh.

Anytime I see a built up bathroom off the original floor,

I think of FAIL.

jeffc

Journeyman plumber and Bacflow Assembly Tester
Reaction score
Jeff'

You have had professional plumbers on two diffrent sites give you very good advice about how to deal with the shower drain problem. You must jack up the concrete and tie your shower into the existing drain line. Thiis is the only way to avoid any problems and possible dangerous repercussions from trying to do it cheap. You have also been very insulting to the people who are trying to help you. We are licensed, skilled tradesmen who are required to update and maintain our skill level in order to maintain our licenses. We work to make a living for ourselves and our families. Giving you free advice is not making us a living, but it is protecting you from yourself. My advice to you is that you take and heed all the good advice about the drain routing and stop offending these people who's help you may need in the future

jfls45

Homeowner
Reaction score
lighten up dude

Come on now, I was getting replies that are making jokes of me and my plumbing skills, not once did I make a joke of any of your plumbing skills. I have actually learned quite a bit of information from you. but I have a problem. the cast iron piping goes to a gray water drain that I believe, correct me if I am wrong, does not allow for a shower hook up. So just hooking up to this thing is illegal. My other alternative is to redo all the plumbing which I can't afford and hook up to the septic system.

Not sure what I should do in this case.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Run gravity lines to a sanitary drain if grade permits.
If grade does not permit then...
Install an ejector pit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks