garbage disposal overflow to other sink

Users who are viewing this thread

boDoanh

Reaction score
I replaced a garbage disposal 1/2 hp, Insinkerator Badger 5) under a double-sink. I would like some help determining how to prevent water backed up over other sink when in use.

With the stronger disposal (1/2hp vs. old 1/3hp), the water could not drain to the main pipe (through P-trap) and some popped up other sink. When I removed the Air Admittance Valve, problem went away.

How can I fix this problem? Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I replaced a garbage disposal 1/2 hp, Insinkerator Badger 5) under a double-sink. I would like some help determining how to prevent water backed up over other sink when in use.

With the stronger disposal (1/2hp vs. old 1/3hp), the water could not drain to the main pipe (through P-trap) and some popped up other sink. When I removed the Air Admittance Valve, problem went away.

How can I fix this problem? Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

The problem is the lack of a proper vent. The unit is causing a positive pressure in the drainage line which is the issue.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
You didn't happen to put the tailpiece in upside down....don't know if it's possible but if it worked before and doesn't work now.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

There are many possible causes an obstructed drain being the first option, especially since removing the AAV eliminates the problem. Or there might be a missing baffle tee, or.................

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
There are many possible causes an obstructed drain being the first option, especially since removing the AAV eliminates the problem. Or there might be a missing baffle tee, or.................

I skimmed over and missed the AAV part. OP - your AAV may be bad, try to replace it.

boDoanh

Reaction score
The problem is the lack of a proper vent. The unit is causing a positive pressure in the drainage line which is the issue.

Yes, I think lack of proper vent is the problem. When I remove the AAV, problem goes away.

The pipe goes from the disposal into side of a T (other sink goes straight down into top of the T), other end of the T goes to a P-trap and out to the main pipe which an AAV is installed.

I didn't have this problem with a weaker 1/3hp waste disposal.

The drawing below has the p-trap weir reversed. This creates too deep a seal. The outlet from the disposer should have been straight, and the 90 not used. Whoever made that drawing, doesn't know how to plumb. Terry

Attachments

• 138797-main_Full.jpg
    138797-main_Full.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 10,210
Last edited by a moderator:

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Is the drain partially plugged? A Badger V isn't a particularly powerful disposer - it should handle a 3/4 horse disposer just as easily. And I have no idea why removing the AAV would make any difference. If the drain can handle the discharge, even a complete absence of a vent shouldn't make a difference.

Does the kitchen drain connect to a larger pipe under the floor, or does it go out to a drywell? If there is pressure resistance in the pipe there is bound to be a problem somewhere in the line. For example, it might have a swale in the pipe that is full of water. Or it may be that it's mostly plugged and the water goes through very slowly.

I'd fill both sinks to the top without running the disposer and see if they drain quickly.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
The drawing below has the p-trap weir reversed. This creates too deep a seal. The outlet from the disposer should have been straight, and the 90 not used. Whoever made that drawing, doesn't know how to plumb. Terry

Not only that but all that tubular 1 1/4" pipe will be holding water to the level of the dirty arm.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks