Side draining bath tub

Users who are viewing this thread

ej43

Reaction score
I need to install bathtub on the floor where ther is no space for P-trap.

How far from a tub drain can the trap be located?

That is, can I run a horizontal drain for 3 feet (at about 1 inch drop) and install a P-trap and a vent 3 feet away from the tub drain?

Or is it asking for trouble?

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
?

I paid a Master Plumber and he installed the P trap 3 feet away.

I don't think "code" requires it to be under the tub drain.

A couple years ago I installed a sink Ptrap a few feet away from the sink drain and I got input here from hj terry and others on how to do it.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
?

I paid a Master Plumber and he installed the P trap 3 feet away.

I don't think "code" requires it to be under the tub drain.

A couple years ago I installed a sink Ptrap a few feet away from the sink drain and I got input here from hj terry and others on how to do it.

You're right, I looked back at the code again.
This is 2009 Florida Plumbing Code, it is similar and sometimes identical to the IPC.

1002.1 Fixture traps. Each plumbing fixture shall be separately trapped by a water-seal trap, except as otherwise permitted by this code. The vertical distance from the fixture outlet to the trap weir shall not exceed 24 inches (610 mm) and the horizontal distance shall not exceed 30 inches (610 mm) measured from the centerline of the fixture outlet to the centerline of the inlet of the trap

ej43

Reaction score
You're right, I looked back at the code again.
This is 2009 Florida Plumbing Code, it is similar and sometimes identical to the IPC.

1002.1 Fixture traps. Each plumbing fixture shall be separately trapped by a water-seal trap, except as otherwise permitted by this code. The vertical distance from the fixture outlet to the trap weir shall not exceed 24 inches (610 mm) and the horizontal distance shall not exceed 30 inches (610 mm) measured from the centerline of the fixture outlet to the centerline of the inlet of the trap

Thanks, that looks encouraging.

Besides violating the Florida Plumbing code by 6 inches, what problems can I encounter by placing the trap 3 feet away?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There will be a (hopefully small) accumulation of soap scum, body oils, dead skin, etc. build-up on the walls of the pipe. 3' of that can smell pretty raunchy. That's why the better location for the trap is right under the fixture...the water in the trap blocks not only traditional sewer gasses, but the smells from the drain line going there.

ej43

Reaction score
There will be a (hopefully small) accumulation of soap scum, body oils, dead skin, etc. build-up on the walls of the pipe. 3' of that can smell pretty raunchy. That's why the better location for the trap is right under the fixture...the water in the trap blocks not only traditional sewer gasses, but the smells from the drain line going there.

Good point.
How would I clean the pipe?

BTW, not sure if it is important here, but everything will be draining into the sewage ejection system and then pumped up.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
30 inches is 762 mm. A limit has to be imposed at some point. Stretching it is a normal human endeavor.

If this quote was retyped, it's data entry error.
If it's copied, it's a typo in the original document.
24 inches (610 mm)
30 inches (610 mm)
If I were you, I'd measure everything in metric and allow myself a margin of error in my favor. :)

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
24" in Illinois

Distance of Trap to Fixture. The developed length from the fixture outlet to the trap weir shall not exceed 24 inches, except when an interceptor is used as a trap, it shall be located as close as possible to the fixture. The maximum developed length from the fixture outlet to the inlet of the interceptor shall not exceed 5 feet. (See Appendix D: Illustration B.) The standpipe inlet for an automatic clothes washer shall not exceed 48 inches above the weir of a trap.

So your best bet is to contact your local building department and ask the plumbing inspector there what they require locally. State codes are the bare minimum, which means counties, townships, and cities can make the code even tougher.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks