Danger of broken wall-hung toilets.

Users who are viewing this thread

AtlasDoc12

Reaction score
Website
www.atlas-titan.com
Hi everyone.

I am thinking about wall-mounted toilets and their wall brace's capacity of only about 300 lbs or so (at least that is what the experts say). I have been able to find some news articles about lawsuits and stories for broken toilets, but not that many as I'm sure a lot of there things are settled. I am trying to figure out just how big of an issue this is.

So I guess my question is: do you think broken/loose wall-mounted toilets are a problem in this country (USA), or are they becoming a problem?

I've been getting mixed signals when talking to people in-person, some say very much so and some say they've never heard of any issues. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you must be a laywer...

their is not much out there about troubles with them...

maintaince on the older ones has never been much of an issue

if someone wants to vandalize one it would not be hard to do...and they probably should not be installed in bars, ..... or other rowdy places....

you would really have to try hard to hurt yourself with one..

I would guess their are old "urban legends" about someone weighing 500 lbs and breaking one...falling through the floor... whatever.....

it would be an interesting test to see how
large a person could slam down on one without pulling it out of the wall.

a good one for that TV show......

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
My concern about wall hung toilets is that you are limited in styles available, and if you ever want to change to a floor mount, you are screwed.

Cookie

Reaction score
I would guess their are old "urban legends" about someone weighing 500 lbs and breaking one...falling through the floor... whatever.....

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Weight.html

All things can be figured out mathematically and with formulas, you need the variables. You should write that into the show Mark, it is interesting.

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

The force that a mass m experiences due to gravity of another mass,
wimg74.gif

where g is the acceleration due to gravity. (Note that this formula is a special case of Newton's second law.) The weight is therefore an extrinsic property depending on the strength of gravitational acceleration to which a body is subjected (and so would be smaller at the top of a mountain than at the mountain's foot), while mass is an intrinsic property. While no less an authority than the National Institute of Standards and Technology notes that "in commercial and everyday one, and especially in common parlance, weight is usually used as a synonym for mass" (Taylor 1995, p. 24), this extremely confusing practice should be universally discouraged.
The unit of force in the MKS system is the newton. The foot-pound-second system of units defines a weight, the pound (or, more explicitly, the pound-force), as the basic unit, with mass

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

The problem with your formula is that the user of the toilet is probably NOT in free fall, unless he/she is incapacitated, and thus not reaching the terminal velocity for the distance they are moving to sit on the toilet. And a "small person" would achieve a lower velocity, than Shaq would, given the differences between their weights and heights.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
There may be carriers rated for different weights. I do a lot of design on dialysis centers, the owners requested the wall hung lavatories have ratings of 500# vs. standard carriers rated for 250-300#. With a little looking and talking to Zurn we found an exceptable carrier. The same may hold true for toilet carriers.

AtlasDoc12

Reaction score
Website
www.atlas-titan.com
I actually am not concerned with anyone on this site buying it, as why I removed the attached image from my profile. I was recently hired to run this company and I have been getting varying different comments on both sides of the spectrum from folks at PHCC and other groups. I am simply looking to find the opinion of actual plumbers so I can derive realistic expectations for my company.

I understand the rules and how picky most folks are about them on sites like this one, and if you feel it necessary to delete my post then please go ahead, but I can assure you that you will receive no sales pitch from me. I simply have no reason to "reach" for sales in this way.

Jay Mpls

Master plumber
Reaction score
Installed hundreds around here.
Have only had a service call for one...we did not install.
I would consider any given number like your 300# is given with a fudge factor built in by the engineer.
If you have carriers to install I would bid them to th 500lb carriers if there is doubt in your mind.
Bottom line, not an issue.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
carriers

There are several different types of carriers. Cast iron ones imbedded or anchored to the floor, and stamped metal ones bolted to the wall structure. The weight limitation is usually determined by HOW it is anchored rather than its construction. One bolted to 12' tall 2x6's would flex more than one bolted to a concrete slab, BUT that would also mean the entire wall was flexing. 300# would be a very low limit for a carrier or its toilet.

AtlasDoc12

Reaction score
Website
www.atlas-titan.com
Thanks

Thanks to everyone for commenting. I think my initial assertions have pretty much been proved true in that, some people have experience with this problem and some don't. But it also seems like many of those who do have experience with the issue have more than most would expect. If anyone disagrees with this takeaway, please do not hesitate to mention it. Thanks again.

Renee Wright

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I am thinking about wall-mounted toilets and their wall brace's capacity of only about 300 lbs or so (at least that is what the experts say). I have been able to find some news articles about lawsuits and stories for broken toilets, but not that many as I'm sure a lot of there things are settled. I am trying to figure out just how big of an issue this is.

So I guess my question is: do you think broken/loose wall-mounted toilets are a problem in this country (USA), or are they becoming a problem?

I've been getting mixed signals when talking to people in-person, some say very much so and some say they've never heard of any issues. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Renee Wright

Reaction score
I'm doing research for my business and ran across this forum. To answer your question from 2009, yes wall mounted toilets breaking or falling off the wall are a concern in the U.S. and abroad. There have been law suites filed by people who have been injured in a fall. If you do a little reach you will find articles to back this up. My company, BarIndusties, manufactures (made in the U.S.) The Buttress toilet support. It is the original universal wall mounted toilet support and is patented. We have been in business since 2003 and our toilet support is in use in all 50 states. Why go with a knock off when you can go with the original. www.thebuttress.com

Asktom

Reaction score
There are stainless steel wall hung toilets out there, even vandals have problems breaking those.

Lila

Reaction score
you must be a laywer...

if someone wants to vandalize one it would not be hard to do...and they probably should not be installed in bars, ..... or other rowdy places....

Well I am close
you must be a laywer...

well I’m close to 400 pounds and recently sat on my first wall mounted toilet and... it broke of the wall which was quite startling, I’m just glad I caught myself on the way down. I would think twice about a wall mounted toilet unless your sure no overweight people will sit on it.

Attachments

• 2588DB22-9F60-4C99-886C-B1B7E5F76C6E.jpeg
    2588DB22-9F60-4C99-886C-B1B7E5F76C6E.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,399
  • 2864CFD9-9529-4B78-8479-E35C8FFB702F.jpeg
    2864CFD9-9529-4B78-8479-E35C8FFB702F.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 957

OtterDoJustice

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm with you there Lila. I'm 360 lbs, and at work we have wall mounted toilets. EVERY TIME I sit down on it it creaks and bends like it's gonna pop off the wall. I don't know what to do, who do I complained to about that? And this is the handicap toilet too! What if someone in a wheelchair who is bigger than me needed to use it! Think of the disaster waiting to happen! (And the lawsuit!).

Also, and this is to all y'all who are installing toilets, be sure that the water levels are shallow enough! The water in this toilet is so deep that when I go to wipe, my toilet paper inevitably gets wet with toilet water! It's really gross and unhygenic, and I can't imagine why no one else has complained about this...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The ONLY way it could "break off the wall" is if you DESTROYED it. The carrier in the wall would not break, nor would the attachment bolts, unless the toilet itself cracked in MAY places.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The wall structure needs to be up to snuff. If it's wooden, over time, the wood may have dried out some and that can work things loose, but normally, the wood isn't all that wet to start with. The metal carrier can hold significant weight IF the wall is properly built.

IF the wall is tiled, I doubt they'd go to the trouble to open it up and tighten thing up or add more strength. It's generally not the carrier, it's how it is attached. Porcelain doesn't really perceptably flex, and if overloaded, would break before it flexed. The carrier, too, won't flex under that load, but can move if the wall does, or the bolts are loose.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Only once have I seen a wall hung toilet fail and later we found out someone was standing on DONT ASK WHY as it would be politically incorrect

I did see more failures and lawsuits relating to power flush toilets

If I have my choice in design floor mounted is the way to go even using a back outlet rather then wall hung

The reason for wall hung is for better housekeeping and I would be very careful where they are installed as someone stated

People in night clubs / bars do kinky stuff and the toilet is not meant to hold two people NUFF said

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks