Being like Jesus

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe the Plumber

Pluumbing, of course
Reaction score
Being a plumber, I was thinking the other day about things, and realized, that I want to be like Jesus.

He was a dude that like going up into the mountains for weeks at a time.

And when he came back, he knew where the good parties were, and they could count on him for some fine tasting wine.
Not that I need much, but a sip or two is nice,
dinner, goes good with dinner.

City life though, think,
lot's of carpenters, not many plumbers.
Did they have plumbers back then,
Big city, no plumbers, sewage, no pipes,
Yeah, I can see getting out of the city filled with people,
and getting some fresh air, blowing in the wind, hopefully, not downwind of any city.
So what was the plumbing like back then?
And when you raced, did you race camels, sort of like they race cars today?
Or did kids have horses they could race, you know, like the original mustang?

Would Jesus race?
And if he did, would he win?

Did they play soccer back then?
I guess you could with sandals or with bare feet.

Fishing was good back then.
I could do some fishing.
I could bring some fish, make a little wine, yeah, life would be good.

Joe the Plumber

Pluumbing, of course
Reaction score
Got any.....juice?

Juice?
No way, I"m thinking the aged stuff.
I kind a lean towards the red stuff,
unless I'm sitting by the water having some fish.
Then the white is good.

Cookie

Reaction score
Joe,

You were wondering if they had any plumbing back then. You know, I don't ever recall reading any mention of plumbing in the bible. It does mention other things one could say was related but, not exactly what I can recall as plumbing. That is an interesting question. I have a girlfriend, Deb, who has studied extensively religious things in college, if anyone would know I bet she would. I will have to ask her for you, and let you know. I would imagine they had some kind of rudimentary plumbing system. Or who knows, maybe better than we would think. But, she would know.

About the camels I do know they do get raced. I surely would not want to be the jockey. I don't know if Jesus raced, but in the bible it speaks of Jesus being a very common type of person, it mentions that. So, I would think, if it were common back then to have camel races and the young boys did the racing, maybe, he would had. I guess it would depend on what you like just like today.

There was a sport back then, that they did play with a ball that one did kick with their feet. I don't think it was soccer because the ball never left the ground. I don't recall the name of the game. I remember reading about it a long time ago.

And, yes white wine with fish. :)

Cookie

Reaction score
Joe,

I got some information from her already. This is pretty interesting.

Plumbing is as old as cities, and at the time of Christ strides were being made to install toilet facilities in homes. The Romans commonly built bathrooms with running water depending on the era and location. Cesspools, running gutters, and sand ditches were used clay pipe were similar to modern day sewer pipe. In the homes of the wealthy full bathrooms were becoming popular, a few people used bath tubs and even had hot water. Mostly, it was the wealthy who had water piped into their homes. There is a reference in the Bible about burying your stools in the ground with a stick.

She also found this site with an ancient history of plumbing:

http://www.theplumber.com/h_index.html

http://www.theplumber.com/eng.html

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I copied this from the second link above, because it is interesting:

In 1871, the Prince of Wales lost his groom, a friend, and almost his life to an outbreak of typhoid in Londesborough Lodge where he and his friends were staying. His groom died as well as his friend, the Earl of Chesterfield. Investigation proved contamination in the plumbing lines, and the problem was corrected and eliminated.
The craftsmanship of the 19th-century sanitary engineer had come almost full cycle from the days of King Minos. In tribute, the Prince would be quoted as saying, "If I could not be a prince, I would rather be a plumber."

Neat, huh.

She was telling me that in the middle of the desert when she visited in Israel she remembered some of the ruins and how they stored water underground and some ancient baths out in the middle of the desert by the Dead Sea at the lowest spot on earth.

Just something about camels she knows that they have foul tempers and Job, had 3000 of them! He was very wealthy. However, in Levitius chapter 11 verse 4, you are forbidden to eat them.

Chess, archery, wrestling, boxing, field hockey all existed.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Here's a pretty good link if you want history...

3200 BCE Scotland
The Orkney Islands are the location of excavations that show early drainage systems.
First lavatory-like plumbing systems were fitted into recesses in the walls of homes -- with drained outlets.
Certain liquid wastes drained to area(s) either under or outside of buildings/homes.

4000 - 2500 BCE Eshnunna/Babylonia - Mesopotamian Empire (Iraq)
Had stormwater drain systems in the streets; drains were constructed of sun-baked bricks or cut stone. Some homes were connected. [The need for proper disposal of human wastes was not fully understood -- but there was a recognition of some of the benefits (less odor, etc.) of taking these wastes away from homes.]
In Babylon, in some of the larger homes, people squatted over an opening in the floor of a small interior room. The wastes fell through the opening into a perforated cesspool located under the house. Those cesspools were often made of baked perforated clay rings -- ranging in size from 18" to 36" in diameter -- stacked atop each other. Smaller homes often had smaller cesspools (18" diameter); larger homes ... more people ... had larger diameter cesspools. The annular space (1') outside of the cesspools' walls were often filled with pieces of broken pottery to better the percolation rates.
Origin of the earliest known pipe: Babylonia was documented by many as one of the first places to mold clay into pipe (via potter's wheel). Tees and angle joints were produced and then baked to make drainage pipe ... all as early as 4000 BCE. Click Here to Read Sewer History Early Roots

Cookie

Reaction score
Hope he was always alright.

That's a bummer though. Or was it a girl? ;)
I have famous people in my family, (2) race car drivers
1 horse jockey, 1 ice capade (sp) skater long ago, and, this is funny, one horse thief, but this was on my LATE HUSBAND'S side. lol

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
no not a chance...he would preach to you till you joined him or drove away...

Cookie

Reaction score
What year was your mustang? You still don't have it?
This isn't a very good picture of it, but this was my, 1977...camaro. I traded it in 1986 for 2,500, for a STATION WAGON. :)

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Rugged,
Does this Jesus look like he would do burnouts?
:)

OHMONjesus04.jpg

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/9786

Monroe, Ohio

Jesus has risen near the interstate north of Cincinnati. A 62-ft. high sculpture of Christ appears to explode from the dirt behind the amphitheater at Monroe's Solid Rock Church. From the waist down, he's underground....

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
What year was your mustang? You still don't have it?
This isn't a very good picture of it, but this was my, 1977...camaro. I traded it in 1986 for 2,500, for a STATION WAGON. :)

If that was to me: It's a 2004 and I sold it when the market was starting to slow down and now I'm driving this:

F150-1.jpg

Kind of sucks but change the oil 3x year, put gas and $180 year insurance and it only goes to work and back. My wife's '06 Trailblazer does the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cookie

Reaction score
That is nice too, especially the low expenses. I like, Trailblazers alot. I missed the camaro at first because I had it so long, and I got it after I first started teaching. But, 2 car seats started to become a real problem so babies on board a camaro didn't work well. :p We bought a station wagon and I was thrown into culture shock, lol. I instantly felt old, :eek::p

Cookie

Reaction score
Now, this is what I would like, see what getting old does

2925619903_669fc6be0b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks